News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric "Z Operator" 164A dial plates

Started by Sargeguy, November 27, 2013, 09:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I got a couple of these in a lot of dial plates.  I always thought the "Z" was discontinued once the 164A plate came along:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

baldopeacock

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 27, 2013, 09:50:37 PM
I got a couple of these in a lot of dial plates.  I always thought the "Z" was discontinued once the 164A plate came along:

I've seen that black dot just above the fingerstop on a few color 302s, but I don't know its significance.

Kenton K

Quote from: baldopeacock on November 27, 2013, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on November 27, 2013, 09:50:37 PM

I've seen that black dot just above the fingerstop on a few color 302s, but I don't know its significance.

To the best of my knowledge, the black dot means the dial is #6 type. The 164 plate only fits 6 dials, so black dot=6 dial.

ken

Sargeguy

I believe that the black dot indicates that the plate is meant for a dial with a clear fingerwheel like those found on colored sets.  Also, 164A plates are backwards compatible with earlier Western Electric dials.  The earlier 132, 149 and 150 type dial plates will not fit a #6, however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Actually, I think a 132 dial plate may fit a #6
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is another dial plate I dug out of the parts bin.  It looks as if WE made both styles (150 and 164) at the same time during the Korean War or thereabouts.  During this period they did away with the Z so that early 164A have it and late 150B do not.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 28, 2013, 12:14:20 AM
I believe that the black dot indicates that the plate is meant for a dial with a clear fingerwheel like those found on colored sets.  Also, 164A plates are backwards compatible with earlier Western Electric dials.  The earlier 132, 149 and 150 type dial plates will not fit a #6, however.

The black dot indicates that the *dial* it is found on is a 6-type---6A (black rim) or 6D (white rim for color sets). The early 6-type dials did not have "6" stamped in the finger stop. Later, the dot on the number plate was eliminated once the finger stops were marked instead. Also, the early plates were not 164A since they fit *only* 6-type and the 164A plates are universal--for 2-, 4-, 5- or 6-types.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 28, 2013, 12:14:56 AM
Actually, I think a 132 dial plate may fit a #6

132 plates are not notched so they won't fit anything but a #2. There are some similar looking notched plates found on 4H dials from 1930-1934, but these are not marked "132."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

QuoteThe black dot indicates that the *dial* it is found on is a 6-type---6A (black rim) or 6D (white rim for color sets). The early 6-type dials did not have "6" stamped in the finger stop. Later, the dot on the number plate was eliminated once the finger stops were marked instead.

That makes a lot more sense.  I have a couple 6Ds that do not have the dot, and I really did not feel like removing the fingerwheels to swap in my new "correct" dial plates!

QuoteAlso, the early plates were not 164A since they fit *only* 6-type and the 164A plates are universal--for 2-, 4-, 5- or 6-types.

Now I see it-it does not have the holes for the retaining ring.

Quote132 plates are not notched so they won't fit anything but a #2. There are some similar looking notched plates found on 4H dials from 1930-1934, but these are not marked "132."

Is there a part # for those early notched plates?  I always thought there were 132 "notched" and "notchless".  The notched does fit a #6 by the way.

I think I feel a reference thread coming on...
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409