"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help to design number card needed.

Started by dsk, June 03, 2012, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi
I have bought a GSM terminal officially to get an alarm calling me at the cabin, but the secret main cause is of course to get an analogue line. Now I put in a dial gizmo, and an old rotary. Probably a 500.  But how should I write the dial card?

The number will be 40096860  one like this but what to put in for 400?

Could it Be
IZZard 9

??

dsk

dsk

Or will this be better?

Seems like the 2 first letter are the dialled ones. followed by some 1+4 digits. Since we have 8 digits The code seems to be easiest to understand as 2 digits in the name, and the rest as numbers?

dsk

Phonesrfun

The standard in the US was to only use the first two letters of the name.  The number of digits in the US, excluding the area code, is 7 and not 8.  So, you are stuck with inserting the extra digit somewhere.  maybe IZ 0-96860 and have 5 digits at the end.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Well there were 3 letters for the exchange name in the US in some cities way back when. Of course with 3 letters there were only the 4 digits afterwards. So while we aren't really used to seeing 3 letters here it would allow you to get away with 3 letters and a digit, then the dash and 4 more digits. Not quite correct either way for North America or for you either D_S_K since you never used letters over there (correct?) but still a possible solution.

Terry

Nilsog

I think GOO would be a more funny Exchange... thats G zero zero, but still :p
Ken

dsk

I think I go for this, even a non collector should understand it.
Maybe not perfect, but it looks well on my 1961 black 500 telephone.

dsk