News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's a Yankee Y1 Transmitter?

Started by TelePlay, May 30, 2012, 12:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Anyone ever see one of these before? Has Yankee Y1 at the top and MPP at the bottom. No other markings. I've searched the web unsuccessfully.

If so, please tell me about  it. This transmitter came out of an F1W handset attached to a 1941 metal base 302 with what seems to be an Automatic Electric dial.

The receiver is the standard H1A dated 1941. The base has an H1= stamp. The coil and ringer are also 1941.

G-Man

ISTR that Yankee is one of Connecticut Telephone's Brands.

Perhaps someone else could verify it.

I do know that during (and after) WWII Connecticut was one of the companies that held a license from Western Electric to manufacture the 302 and components.

The MFP indicates it was used for the military.

rdelius

TelePlay

Thanks for that info.

The dial card seems to be military too. Or not?

Hooked it up tonight and it works - that is, it rings, dials and the transmitter is fine but the 1941 HA1 receiver does not work. Put in an HA1 from another phone and it worked well so the receiver seems to be bad. Can they be fixed or fixed by replacement?

The eBay listing got my curiosity up. Here's the link.

http://tinyurl.com/7dkmm3v

The transmitter cap is something I've not seen before. And, yes, it is missing a chunk of metal base near the back left, when looking at the base from the botton, footpad. It seems to have been torn out with little bending to the surrounding area of the base. Certainly too jagged of a tear to have been cut out. Will post a picture tomorrow.

Seems to be an interesting indpendant 302. Any thoughts on leaving the AE dial in or replacing it with a 5H? Other than the missing chunk of metal, the paint job and the easily recoverable feet, the phone seems to be in clean and great condition.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do with it. Restore it to it's last use condition take it back to a WE original? Any thoughts?

rdelius

That transmitter cap  is off a Wheeler (wheelock) sound powered handset

Doug Rose

I have found many metal 302s with an AE dial that was a Military "upgrade." Not quite sure why this was done. Nice January 1942 metal phone. Hopefully it was a manual set and the 1/42 dial was not trashed. 1/42 was the last hurrah for the metal 302s. Nice phone...nice price....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

1/42 was the last hurrah for the metal 302s. Nice phone...nice price....Doug
[/quote]

There were metal 302s made in 1946. These have 3 Cs stamped in the inside housing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Dave....Really? I have never seen one. How long in1946? I have seen many thermos dated x/46. Were these just old metal shells being used or new metal made shells?  Would you have a picture? ....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

They were made with new shells in 1946, but the piece under the hookswitch is plastic instead of metal. The shells have 3 concentric Cs (Continental something??); the ringers often have one steel gong painted black and one brass gong.  Sorry, I don't have pictures.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

I know I'm coming in late for this thread.
I have F1s that are marked Roanwell.
Howard
Howard

TelePlay

For posterity, here are the eBay listing photos.