News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'57 Aqua 510 E/F

Started by finlover, March 12, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Have you ever bid on something and forgotten about it?  I put my bid of $160 with Auction Sniper, not really expecting to win it, then put it right out of my mind.  With one lousy photo and no underside shot, I could easily get burned on this one.  I really should have asked the seller more questions, but it looks right to me with those fat '50s cords, and notice how nice the fingerwheel is.  My only worry is that the housing and handset have been replaced, but if that were the case the cords probably would have been replaced at the same time.  If it is all original, this could be a real show-stopper!   The first year for Aqua AND it's a two-line--sombody pinch me!  I'll let you guys know the deal when it arrives.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130372763444&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

Dennis Markham

Greg, I had seen that telephone.  It does look very nice.  The color of the photograph looks off on this end but I'll bet it's a nice original phone.   My concern was that the seller has 8 negative feedback in the past year.  Comments were about poor and slow shipping.  But sometimes one has to take a chance and the rewards can be great.  It's a nice one to add to the collection.

Craig T

:o WOW, I love those two line units, nice phone Fin!

You cut it close enough on the final price  :)

I did not see that one last week, did you have camouflage on it or something!

Dan/Panther

I saw that and was intrigued by it, but turns out way above my expected price.
I looked at Pauls website, and it said the button could be one of two things a volume control, or a two line set, it appears to be the flat sided buttons, so I say definitely a two line phone.
You did good.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Quote from: Craig T on March 12, 2010, 11:29:41 PM
You got me, Craig!  I used my Brady Bunch tiki idol to put a curse on the auction.  This is what you would have seen.  Almost lost out to a guy from Idaho though...

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 13, 2010, 12:06:30 AM
I saw that and was intrigued by it, but turns out way above my expected price.
I looked at Pauls website, and it said the button could be one of two things a volume control, or a two line set, it appears to be the flat sided buttons, so I say definitely a two line phone.
You did good.
D/P
Thanks, D/P, we'll see.  This one's a leap of faith.  :-\

Dan/Panther

Greg;
Wouldn't the amplified version be just as good ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 13, 2010, 12:40:10 PM
Greg;
Wouldn't the amplified version be just as good ?
D/P
Amplified would be even better. I think the amplified came out in 1955.
I have a referance somewhere.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

I don't have any two liners, but I would love to have one for the office. The girls HATED the bell sounds when I put a 1956 red in my room. They even silenced their chirpers "since mine was so loud". Some people don't appreciate the classics!

Greg, give us some pics under the hood when you get it, and I bet it is a six hole original, good luck!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Craig T

Quote from: finlover on March 13, 2010, 12:42:11 AM
Quote from: Craig T on March 12, 2010, 11:29:41 PM
You got me, Craig!  I used my Brady Bunch tiki idol to put a curse on the auction.  This is what you would have seen.  Almost lost out to a guy from Idaho though...

Clever disguise Finlover, you know I hate vegetables  :)  I have one of the two lines phones here (modular though). It is a 514.

Yours does not have the plug for the signal lamp though. So maybe it is one of the other similar models 510-516 all look fairly similar.

finlover

Well, I received the phone today and was completely blown away!  It arrived in a box with two large silk scarves as packing material--that was a first for me!  Holding my breath, I was delighted to find an all-original 2-line phone in excellent condition inside and out.  All components are dated 11-57 and it has an aqua color code.  If this phone was used at all it must have seen light duty.  There are the usual scuffs here and there but these will soon disappear after a bit of sanding and polishing.  The fat handset cord is near perfect and the line cord is a six conductor one.  Besides the usual red, green and yellow wires, there are black, blue and white ones. 

I never thought my MIB aqua '58 500 would be ousted from my collection, but this 510 will replace it and I'll auction off the '58.  I'll post lots of photos after I'm done with it!

Dan

Beautiful fin, I am happy for you. I am going out on a line stating your '58 will fetch $300 or so.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

finlover