"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Touch tone dial

Started by Bigfat55, September 19, 2013, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfat55

Hello, this is my first post.  I removed my dial and I forgot
To take a picture of the wiring so now I can't remember where the wires went. I've included some pics and hopefully someone on this site can help. The phone is a Northern Electric 2554. Thanks

poplar1

Welcome!

The red-green (on R) and the orange-black (on C) dial wires are connected correctly.

Move the white dial wire to Y.
Move the white receiver wire from R to Y.

Move the red dial wire from R to X.
Move the red transmitter wire from R to X.

ref:
Bell System Practices, Section 502-510-450CA, Issue D, October 1971

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3807-station-installation-and-repair-manual-bell-canada-dec72-large-file

page 474 (originally page 463)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bigfat55

Did exactly like you said, but that didn't work

poplar1

Do you have dial tone?

What happens when you press the buttons? Do you hear 2 tones for each key, or perhaps clicks as you press each button?

G-Man

Polarity?

Try swapping the red and green wires from the line-cord.

Bigfat55

Yes I have a dial tone and when I press a number it makes a clicking sound that comes through the receiver. I swapped the red and green wires from the line cord, but that didn't help

Bigfat55

Just wondering if the black and yellow wires from the line cord need to be connected since they are connected to the other end

poplar1

Was the dial working before you disassembled the phone?

I believe you have it wired correctly if there aren't any wires on adjacent terminals touching each other. In that case, the dial may be defective. If it were functional, you would hear clicks with the incoming line connected one way, and tones when line wires are reversed. Do you not hear one or two tones with either polarity?

Perhaps someone has a spare NE 35Q3A dial. You can also use other models, but the wiring is different.

poplar1

Quote from: Bigfat55 on September 19, 2013, 09:50:29 PM
Just wondering if the black and yellow wires from the line cord need to be connected since they are connected to the other end

No, you need only red and green.

Bigfat55

Yes it was working before I removed it. I hear it making a clicking sound only now, I will check all the wires again in the morning. Thx

poplar1

Je donne ma langue au chat.

G-Man

Popular1 has already sent you in the right direction but see if this diagram is of additional help.

Term.    Wires Colors  (Dial)

R             R-G (Red-Green)
Y              W (White)
X              R (Red)
C               O-BK (Orange-Black)

G-Man

You may want to redress the spade-lug terminals on the X – Y – B – C terminals to make sure they are not shorting out on the other adjacent terminals.

Once you make sure they are not touching, try to dial once more. If it still does not work remember to reverse the polarity back.

Bigfat55

I've wired everything according to the diagram, once I press a number on the keypad, the dial tone gets louder.

G-Man

From the photos it appears to have been wired correctly but perhaps there is something that I am missing. Perhaps popular1 or others can catch it.

If it is wired according to the diagram and the spade terminals are not touching other terminals, it may be time for you to send your dial to Steve Hilsz for repair.

But first, take the dial's gray cover located over the contacts off.

Then, place a piece of Bond paper between the first set of contacts and press one of the buttons.

As the contacts close, slowly pull the Bond paper through them to wipe away any tarnish.
Then sequentially do the same for the remaining contacts.

This is a method that was approved by the telephone company.

The reason they specified [Bell System] Bond paper is because it has lower sulphur content than most other paper though in a pinch you can use a business card or other types of paper. You may have to clean the contacts more frequently though.