News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Italian "Grillo" phone

Started by countryman, October 08, 2019, 04:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I just got this Italian Grillo (Cricket) phone straight from the southernmost part of the Apennine Peninsula. I found it too cool, as it was the world's first foldable or flip phone - an idea that had it's heyday later and in a different context! And still "foldable phone" stands for new, futuristic concepts!
This one was designed by italian Marco Zanuso and Richard Sapper (the later was German but lived and worked in Italy). When folded and sitting on a desk it looks quite unimposing - a computer mouse on steroids maybe?  When lifting it up, it unfolds immediately. I suspected a broken latch, but in fact there is none! Next surprise is the dial. Push buttons and no finger stop? A touch-tone phone? No, a rotary dial. By depessing a button the finger hole is cleared and the finger stop is set to the respective number.
There's no ringer, just a tiny buzzer sounding like a cricket mounted into the wall plug - hence the name, meaning cricket in Italian! I could not wait opening up this piece of phone history. The lower (transmitter) shell comes off easily by taking out a well visible bolt. And then???
I found out the 2 bolts on the very right and left in the gap between the two shells have to be undone. Then the upper (main) shell slides off. Easy, compared to more recent plastic assemblies!
Disassembling was required for a thorough cleanup. The seller had wiped it down but it was still filthy, yet undamaged and complete! The outside is mildly yellowed. I'll have to investigate into bleaching techniques. For 25 Euros, including delivery across half of the continent, I call it a bargain though!

countryman

more pics. Parts dates are matching 1/72, except the shell, which is stamped 69.
Manufacturer is Siemens AUSO, seemingly the italian branch of the German Siemens co. It changed names a couple times. I could not find the meaning of AUSO yet.

FABphones

Nicely found at a good price. Thanks for adding the info and photos.
I never knew about that dial. Interesting.

If it were me I would consider Chemically Sanding to bring the original colour back up to the surface:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

They also made Grillo's with clear backs .
I have 3 of them. I think they are a neat little phone.

Doug Rose also has one. He posted a photo here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8721.msg93730#msg93730
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SunriseEarth

I have an orange one and a clear one.   The buzzer on the clear one isn't working, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

countryman

I used the brighter days to try some bleaching with 6% Peroxide hair salon creme.
I simply brushed it on with a small brush and put the phone into direct sunlight. I used no bag or container because I was too lazy to disassemble the phone, but did not want any condensation inside either.
The creme dried up relatively quick but still worked well. The result after the first attempt was a bit streaky and the shady side wasn't bleached enough. So I went for a second round and turned the phone around this time.
The dried up residues were wiped off with a damp cloth. Well that was an easy fix, just right for a sunny sunday :-)