News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

European Phone Resembles an AE

Started by Doug Rose, May 22, 2020, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I know this was discussed, but I cannot find it. Looks like a Belium Kettle phone, but does not have the carrying handle. Resembles an AE. Looks to be made of metal. I love the handset. Any info is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

RB

That is a cute little thing.
Looks like the handset melted over the cradle.
I like the small footprint phones.

dsk

Looks equal to an ATEA handset I have, I hope that can help you finding more info.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

I think that I have the same phone here (forum link).  It is an ATEA "kettle" phone.  Mine doesn't have a handle either.  I am including a picture of the decal on the back of my phone.

I recently have been looking for a transmitter capsule for this phone.

Larry

Jack Ryan

That is an ATEA Model 50 - it is the model that the Belgian RTT 56 is based upon.

The RTT 56 has a handset similar to a WE F handset, a small white button in front and a handle to carry it with. Both ATEA and BTMC made the RTT 56 - each used their own dial.

Yours has what I would call a PAX handset - it is like the standard ATEA handset but has a different transmitter cap and likely a different element. Others disagree.

Jack

dsk

The ringer will most likely work, a series capacitor may give better results than a resistor, but it is hard to tell how small value you may put in. If you are able to use a transmitter from a WE 500 or 2500 phone, it will probably work well.
dsk

Doug Rose

Thanks for all the great information. I was searching under AETA  :P

Ended up getting it for $10 plus shipping. Looks to be in really nice shape and I do love the handset.

I will be getting it next week and I will let you know....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Black-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Phone-Cloth-Cord-Parts-Only-/303568365022?
Kidphone

countryman

That's a nice original looking phone and a very good price. Many have undergone copper plating. Often parts from model 50 and 56 were mixed up in this process.
The transmitter cap is unusual, but might be original, too. Second pic is the same handset with a different cap on my Model 28.
A North American AE dial card holder will fit, here's the scan of a typical dial card. The size should be correct when printed to a full A4 page - not sure about American paper format.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on May 22, 2020, 05:01:22 PM
The transmitter cap is unusual, but might be original, too. Second pic is the same handset with a different cap on my Model 28.

Your transmitter cap is the usual one. AE used the unusual style for PAX phones.

A picture of the equivalent AE handset is attached.

Jack

countryman

Matilo mentions the spouted cap as an earlier version, the circular one as later:
http://www.matilo.eu/3-the-phones/1926-1945-bakeliet-ww2/atea-1928/?lang=en
It's very well possible that the circular version only appeared on "private" phones.

tubaman

Doug,

I got a similar one a while ago - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22706.0
Mine is a Model 51 and has the earth recall (grounding) button but is otherwise the same.
You did well as they are hard to find in unmolested condition, even here in Europe.
A standard AE dial card holder should fit that dial if you have a spare one.
:)

Doug Rose

thanks Folks for all the great info, I am very surprised it went so so low.

Jack, while the handsets are similar, I do think they are very different. I have the one you have pictured and will photograph them together when it arrives. thanks for you input.

CM....I do have one of those original cards....someplace!....thanks for the download....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 23, 2020, 08:37:12 AM
Jack, while the handsets are similar, I do think they are very different. I have the one you have pictured and will photograph them together when it arrives. thanks for you input..Doug

I have both and yes, they are different but they are the same style and quite different from the normal handset. I think their purpose was the same.

Jack

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 23, 2020, 08:41:29 AM
I have both and yes, they are different but they are the same style and quite different from the normal handset. I think their purpose was the same.

Jack

The "PAX handset" was an induction handset according to our Forum AE Experts.....AE Collector and Stub....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

What is an induction handset?
dsk