News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - July 2014

Started by AE_Collector, May 29, 2014, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - July 2014   (TWO VOTES EACH)

dsk's payphone for $84
3 (9.7%)
New England Tel.'s Northern Electric 554Q3A local battery wall phone for $19.99 + S&H
8 (25.8%)
wds' Kellogg F135 desk phone won on eBay for $283.78 plus $18.70 shipping
5 (16.1%)
Russ Kirk's Western Electric Calculagraph #33 KS-7769-L gift from a neighbor
1 (3.2%)
poplar1's transparent Princess on eBay for a BIN price of $49.95 + $12.35 shipping
9 (29%)
ETS1979's colored 202 found at a local antique mall for $16
4 (12.9%)
Fabius'  wooden hand crank wall phone with long pole receiver from a southern Michigan antique mall for $61.01
8 (25.8%)
Doug Rose's GPO PMBX found at an Estate Sale for $25 years ago and in his basement this month
1 (3.2%)
LarryInMichigan's WE #10 candlestick for $112 including shipping
14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for July 2014 here.

A "Find of the Month" is an item that you personally acquired within the last month, or so, that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it, etc.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one Phone, one phone Item or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find for next months contest.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

dsk

:) :) :) I guess I will nominate another payphone.

Yes it is ugly, its dirty, I had to drill up the locks, but it works, and it has been almost impossible to get, at least to a cost I could accept. now at NOK 500 or approx $84 it is OK.  I want this because it was the type we had to use when I served. I had to fresh up how it really works, and it does with Norwegian coins from 1990  /- some years. It collects at a 16kHz signal.

I need 2 new locks, and I am not sure if I should paint it or just let it have the tear and wear.
A good cleaning is a must!

And when you see this one you really see how beautiful the North American payphones are ;D

dsk

New England Tel.

I would like to nominate my recent eBay find of this relatively rare Northern Electric 554Q3A. I got it for $19.99 + S&H. For those that don't know, the 500/554Q-Series are local-battery phones. I now have the set of both desk & wall versions!

More pictures and info:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12166.msg128660#msg128660

-Bob Archambault

Doug Rose

I'd like to nominate Dave's Stunning  Kellogg F135 Desk Phone. I keep going back to look at it. Such a beautiful phone!!....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12223.msg129090#msg129090

---------------------

EDIT:  Sold on eBay for $283.78 plus $18.70 shipping, 12 bids by 6 bidders
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

I will nominate my Western Electric Calculagraph #33 KS-7769-L

This was a gift from a neighbor.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Fabius on July 08, 2014, 04:15:24 PM
Tell us about those bookends.

For a second I thought you were calling the machine a book end.  ;D

Ben

poplar1

Picked up this transparent Princess yesterday for the Buy-it-now price of $49.95 + $12.35 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291185215590
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Since this colored 202 was taking on a life of its own, I split it out of Find of the Month into its own topic in Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds but to keep it as a nomination for the July FotM, I am adding this post to do just that, to nominate the 202 as stated in ETS1979's original post nominating his 202 for July.

"I found this at a local antique mall last weekend.  It appears to be an original colored 202.  All numbers match at 1941 except the case which is 1935.  Note the thick fingerwheel and brown bakelite.  Purchase price was $16.  It's probably worth a couple of hundred bucks?  There are quite a few chips which are going to be a challenge to touch up.  The dial card assembly is missing also.  Any ideas on this are greatly appreciated."

Fabius

My best find in a long long time! Found in a southern Michigan antique mall. The cost was $61.01 which included tax and after a 10% discount. Long pole appears to Bell and is in excellent condition. This compact magneto set appears to be Manhattan Electrical Supply. The transmitter is complete with the female thread mouthpiece. Phone also has what appears to be the original key. The phone is in excellent condition
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

Quote from: Fabius on July 18, 2014, 11:54:20 PM
My best find in a long long time! Found in a southern Michigan antique mall. The cost was $61.01 which included tax and after a 10% discount. Long pole appears to Bell and is in excellent condition. This compact magneto set appears to be Manhattan Electrical Supply. The transmitter is complete with the female thread mouthpiece. Phone also has what appears to be the original key. The phone is in excellent condition
Well worth it, if only for the long pole rx. Nice.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Owain

I would nominate Doug's GPO PMBX
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12113.msg129707#msg129707

unless it doesn't count because it's been in his basement for years?

To find one in the UK is fairly rare, the price of $25 is amazing, and for it to have got across the pond to Massachusetts is unbelievable. There must be a story behind it.

TelePlay

I'd like to nominate persido's 354 that he found at a flea market this month for $10.

It appears to be a rarer -18 Dark Blue with what seems to be an original cloth curly handset cord.

The phone was posted in its own topic on the forum with more pictures.

This looks like a great find!

This nomination is hereby withdrawn/retracted.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on July 19, 2014, 02:28:31 PM

It appears to be a rarer -18 Dark Blue with what seems to be an original cloth curly handset cord.

354 in -18 would be like unobtainium, but it is more like Rust-oleum.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on July 19, 2014, 02:51:26 PM
354 in -18 would be indeed be ... like unobtainium.  But it looks more like Rust-oleum.

Yes, I know. I wish Scot would have put more into into his listing. He didn't say either way. I am hoping it not someone's paint job. I know the 302 came in -18 but couldn't find a reference to that color in the 354 series. Scot did say "I have been busy cleaning and fixing it up this past week." but nothing about painting it. If it is indeed painted, I will withdraw the nomination. More pictures of the phone, inside and out, at the original post would help. Doug Rose asked for more pictures of the insides at the original post. Without any before pictures, all we have to go on is the high rez photos Scot posted. I will be watching and if I am wrong and this is a painted black phone,  . .    Well, we will have a few days to see what others and Scot have to say about it. I've seen these in ivory, never blue, and can't quickly find the BSP stating the available colors for the 354.