News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Terryphones (intercoms)

Started by Babybearjs, March 21, 2016, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I came across these on Ebay, They are being sold by Phoneco, Inc. (Hfred) My question is, When were these ever used? I've never seen anything like this... I have had plenty of AE 86's, but never one of these? is there any documentation on these? I'd like to learn more.

ebaY link added:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201539957374
( dead link 03-24-22 )
John

AE_Collector

The main clue I see is the name "TerryPhone" on the one speaker grill. Lots of info should be out there on TerryPhone. They made many different types of intercom systems both handset and loud speaking. I have seen other models of phones repurposed by them though I cant say that I have seen AE 86's used before...until now. Interesting that they have hardboard baseplates with NE/WE looking feet yet they seem to have the AE keyset which is normally mounted on the steel baseplate.

"When were they used".....I don't know, 60's 70's 80's. You probably really mean "What were they used for"...Intercoms!

Terry

paul-f

Good catch Terry.

I suppose your whole collection is made up of TerryPhones.

Here are some from a previous topic:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6889.msg78511#msg78511
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Ah yes, thanks for the link Paul. Is TerryHasTwoManyPhones a competitor of TerryPhone?

Some of the same speaker grills there in that topic but in AE 80 sets rather than 86 sets. TerryPhone sure liked to use modified telephone sets for its offerings!

You had linked to some pictures in that topic that are dead now. Do you know if you have those pictures still? Some of your pictures that are still there include gray 80's turned into TerryPhones. :(

If this was a 99c starting price auction I would bid low to grab the clear keystrip designation covers for AE 86 sets!

I moved that topic to Intercoms under the Switching Category and will merge this topic into it once any chatter here in this topic ends.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 21, 2016, 05:28:24 PM

You had linked to some pictures in that topic that are dead now. Do you know if you have those pictures still? Some of your pictures that are still there include gray 80's turned into TerryPhones. :(

The photos are still there. The previews don't show any more, but they can be downloaded. ISTR this started during a software upgrade.

Maybe some enterprising moderator can figure out how to get the photos to show again.   ;)

AE_Collector

Oh yes, you are correct. I just assumed that they were hosted remotely as some where there and some where missing. Three were missing when viewed on my laptop but all showed up properly on my iPad for some reason. I had to remove the six of them and upload them again and now all seems well again.

I wonder if that was related to the software update done on the forum which I think was when half of our avatars turned into little square boxes but some people said they could see them and others couldn't.

Terry

paul-f

Probably so.  I'll send you a PM.

Babybearjs

Interesting.... so the "Terryphone" was nothing more then recycled telephones.... to see a 6 line intercom is interesting if the original keyset was used... I assume the buttons were direct lines to other stations. when I saw them, I thought they were made by AE but now, I know differently. I've never heard of the "Terryphone" is there any history on this company? it would be interesting to see exactly what they made back in the day....
John

AE_Collector

Well, probably not "recycled" as I would expect that they bought new phones or portions of phones and equipment directly from phone manufacturers since their product didn't directly compete with telephone companies.

TerryPhone must have been a fairly large company supplying systems throughout North America at least. I havent Googled them to see where they went or indeed if they went anywhere. It seems likely that customer owned phone systems with much better capabilities than old phone systems likely reduced TerryPhones market significantly.

Terry(WayTooManyPhones)

poplar1

Terryphone was a maker of intercom systems which was absorbed by ITT. The combined company used the ITT Terryphone name on modified versions of ITT 1A2 key systems.http://www.frillfreephones.com/itttefa1a2.html

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

http://terryphones.com/
Terryphone

Terryphone is an industrial communications paging system that is tough enough to function in unfavorable working environments. This durable system withstands the rigors of life in an industrial workplace, in corrosive environments, and heavy manufacturing. Wherever you see hardhats and forklifts, you'll see a Terryphone communication set hanging on the wall.

Parts used for Terryphone are procured and produced by local manufacturers in the tri-state area, including metal stamping, plastic housing molds, coil cord and cabling. The phones are hand assembled and tested in one of American Telecom's two local facilities.

As the sole owner of the rights to Terryphone, we sell, ship and support Terryphone worldwide. We do in-house repairs on existing Terryphones, and we furnish parts and ship them across the country and around the world.

Read about How Terryphone Works.

© 2010 American Telecom Corporation of Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

No wonder I've never heard of them.... by the time I started discovering phones, ITT had already taken them in.... When I worked in hardware retail, We sold the ITT Big Button phones in beige, blue, and pink.... that's all I remember about ITT when I was younger.... didn't learn more until the mid 2000's....
John

Cterry

Quote from: poplar1 on March 22, 2016, 12:09:30 PMTerryphone was a maker of intercom systems...
First, thanks for giving Terryphone coverage! I have compiled a complete history of Terryphone from what Betty Terry and Mac Eaton of Terryphone wrote. It is freely available for download at:
The Terryphone Story

My email is cterry@aol.com
Charlie Terry

paul-f

Quote from: Cterry on December 10, 2022, 12:26:54 PMFirst, thanks for giving Terryphone coverage! I have compiled a complete history of Terryphone from what Betty Terry and Mac Eaton of Terryphone wrote. It is freely available for download at:
The Terryphone Story

My email is cterry@aol.com
Charlie Terry

Welcome to the forum, Charlie!

Thanks to Charlie's file contribution, a bookmarked copy is now available in the TCI Library for reference. It's a great read.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=terryphone+story

HowardPgh

We still have a Terryphone system in my office. We still use it mainly for paging and still converse on it. I think it's been there since the mid 60s.
The desk stations are based on AE 80s and some are an ITT designed unit.
Howard