News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE SS 15633-1 Weather Announcer Remote Station

Started by allnumbedup, February 25, 2023, 12:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I purchased this bizarre AE item after finding it on TCI.   I am pretty sure it is going to be uncommonly found nowadays, so sharing some pictures for the serious AE collectors here.  It is a remote station for AE Weather Announcer as shown in the 1962 catalog.(TCI). Not a "phone" exactly but has an AE gray handset. It is in very lightly used shape and built like a tank. The control knobs are mechanical switches as shown. It has two thin chrome hooks for a handset cradle. It has its own black power cord and phone cord, while the handset cord is straight and gray.  It powers up and the VU meter works and the lights light.  The handset has an unusual transmitter element and rubber enclosure while the inner parts found in the chassis look to have been supplied by multiple different manufacturers---but some AE parts with two AE condensers, AE handset elements, handset and AE tagged cord.  Hard to believe the whole unit cost $6K in the 1960's as that would be over $60K today.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

paul-f

Great find!

It's a treat to see your photos. Thanks for posting with the catalog page.

Did your source provide any history? Hope you also find the rack unit to add to your collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Good to read the item catalogue page alongside seeing the actual product.

And here's me thinking unskippable advertising was a more modern phenomena.

Thanks for sharing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

allnumbedup

This was purchased at a multi-consigner box lot auction.  The auction had no other phone or radio items and even though the auctioneer said he owned it for many years he could not remember anything about from where it came or how he came by it. I do not expect to keep it in my collection but am happy to answer any other questions if you would like to post or PM me. thanks for looking and replying. JC

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

allnumbedup

I have cleaned by my Weather Announcer and decided to post on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285223602119

I did more investigating and testing with additional description and pictures below;

"The chassis is heavy steel and has a gloss gray surface with matt crinkle painted gray heavy metal ends making for a very sturdy unit. It is approximately 8" deep X 14" wide with the handset in place and 7" tall.  There are two immobile hooks to support the handset at the side of the unit. I have not changed the wiring or internal connections of this phone, however, this remote unit could be adapted to function as a normal residential phone but has no ringer and does not appear intended to function as such with its original wiring.  As-is, this unit powers on the white glass lamp using the three prong plug. The Simpson UV meter registers a signal from the handset and the red lamp lights in the 'announce' position when the black and green leads are connected.  The black station cord is paper labeled internally as an AE monotype cord with four spade ends, the green and red leads carry dial tone and transmit when tested.  Internally very clean, several manufacturers components are used.  Mostly these are AE, but also GE, Sprague and Simpson . The handset is an AE dove gray 80 type with nicks and yellowing. The handset should be easily restorable to new condition with bleaching and sanding.  The internal handset elements are AE with non-standard mountings and connections which appear original or vintage.  The handset cord uses a small bolt to connect the spade connector of one side of the transmitter lead. The cord is impressed "Belden," the wires marked "Temflex" and the three plastic restraints holding all three cords onto the chassis are marked "Heyco".  I have found no dates on any internal components but the catalog picture of this unit is dated 1963."

TelePlay

Well, this should be an interesting auction to watch.

One bid right away, 8.5 days to go, starting at $300 including shipping.

Not a common piece but certainly one that serious collectors and museums would not have and want. Will be interesting to see where it ends.

allnumbedup

I am happy to report this is on it's way today to a new owner. 11 watchers and one bid after posting in telephone and radio categories of ebay X 10 days.