News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coin First Dial Tone First Wiring

Started by Payphone installer, March 15, 2017, 06:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

Stan and I were talking the other day about coin first and dial tone first and the difference in the two, as I thought about it I did not recall anyone discussing that there is additional wiring necessary in order to make a phone coin first or dial tone first. I thought I would post the wiring difference. a long time ago I was involved in the conversion of CF to DTF and remember there was quite a bit to it. Beyond the changing of the CO equipment it was also necessary to change any 1A set parts to 1C set parts. I should state that the first conversion was from 1A to 1C in the CF mode,then the next step was to move from CF to DTF once all sets were 1C. The converting to DTF required rewiring many of the 1C and some old 1A parts to DTF. The chart below shows how to do that. 

Payphone installer

These charts are for the 1C set only the D set was DTF only never used for CF.

Payphone installer

As you review the chart you will see the 35T3A touch tone dial this was the first TT dial used in a 1A or 1C set it is rare in a payphone to find one because they were ordered removed by the telephone company. You can spot them quickly they have gray buttons made of plastic, it was before the chrome buttons were made. I should add at this point that the 35 type dial was first released in the 1A2 payphone which I have never been able to find a original model of, but that's another story for another day. The chart also includes wiring of touch tone dials A and B there was also a C dial but it does not appear on this chart. The wiring of the C is different. You must pull the dial from the dial housing to identify which one you have,it should be marked on the front of the pad. I have the c wiring somewhere on another chart. The rotary are all the same. Chassis wiring of the 1C is also on the chart as is handset and dial switch hook. All this wiring has to be done before the DTF or CF switch on the totalizer will work. One of the reasons I trped this is because I think with the proper wiring Stans controller will operate this payphone. I have not tried it but intend to. if that is the case it will have to be wired correctly.

Payphone installer

more pictures

mentalstampede

Great info! Thanks for all the wonderful posts you make. If not for you, all of this payphone history would be lost.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein