News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won this phone off ebay

Started by Tonyrotary, May 08, 2009, 03:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Well I said that I wanted to collect older phones now that I have a bunch of newer rotaries. Well I saw this on ebay with a little time left so I placed a bid. Didn't get a chance to ask any question so I was hesitant. The bid was for $35 and that is what I placed. I just hope I didn't make a mistake by taking a chance. She needs some TLC but that is fine by me.

This will be my first phone that I will try to fully refurbish myself from taking it apart, cleaning, polishing, replacing the suede feet and reassembling. The shipping is too high in my opinion and I am tempted to ask him to flate rate it as what is the hurry as I am still in the sandbox. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110381445155
( dead link 02-28-22 )

AET

Very Nice Tony!  I've yet to get a 302 and I like this one!  Too bad you're not in Wisconsin, shipping's only 21 bucks. 
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Shipping has gone up.  That price is about right from California to the East Coast.  It would fit OK in the larger Flat Rate box.  Those boxes don't have as much depth but there's room to set the phone away from the edges and have the handset ride along side.  The area of concern is being crushed from the top or bottom.  But if some good bubble wrap or other padding is used, it should travel OK.  I think those large Flat Rate boxes ship in the $13.95 range.  They used to be $12.95 but I think they went up.

bingster

I think you did fine on the phone, Tony.  It looks to be in very nice condition, and you'll probably only need to do a little light cleaning to make it shine beautifully. 

It certainly won't hurt to ask if there's a cheaper shipping option available.  I find that, as a rule, sellers are willing to make accommodations like that in shipping.
= DARRIN =

Tonyrotary

Thanks guys. I am happy to have a nice 302. Up to this point the oldest phone I have was the 1964 NE 500. The wife liked the look of the 302 as well.

Dennis your right shipping has gone up and I think I'll just have him ship it the way he was going to. I did tell him not to pack the phone with the handset in the cradle but wrapped and nestled next to the phone in the box. Keeping my fingures crossed. I can't wait to get home and check the dates on the phone. The wife and I are planning on moving in the very near future and she already claimed the 500 for her desk. I told her the 302 will be on mine. :) I might even hard wire this phone to a wall jack just like they did in the old days!

McHeath

Nice looking phone and a good find.  I agree that it should clean up pretty easily and be a phone you will be proud of. 

Tonyrotary

The phone came in today.  ;D The wife said it was packed very well. Took her a few minutes to unpack it. I was on the phone with her when it came in. It suffered no shipping damage. ;D I had her plug it in and check it after we finished our call. She emailed me some pics and also told me it rings and dials out fine.

I have a question though. She told me the ringer was quieter than the 554 hanging in the kitchen. I have the ringer turned all the way down on that phone. I would have thought the ringer on the 302 to be kinda loud. Can't check the phone till I get home in 80 something days. Any thoughts?

HobieSport

Glad the 302 made it okay Tony. It's great that it already works.  I don't know about the quiet ringer.  Hard to tell without seeing pics yet.  It will also be fun to learn the dates.  Congrats on your new "baby", even though you don't get to see it for another 80 days. ;D

Tonyrotary

I guess I will have to wait the 80 or so days. Ya know The wife took one look at the phone and then tried to claim it as hers!!...lol. I said wait I bought you the 500 you wanted. She said we can swap! I told her no way, it going on my desk.....lol. I am glad she liked it though. Oh yeah the dates, I cannot wait to find those out. The dial face is in decent shape though the 1 is almost completely worn off.

bingster

Quote from: Tonyrotary on May 18, 2009, 04:01:40 PMI have a question though. She told me the ringer was quieter than the 554 hanging in the kitchen. I have the ringer turned all the way down on that phone. I would have thought the ringer on the 302 to be kinda loud. Can't check the phone till I get home in 80 something days. Any thoughts?

In between the ringer's coils, you'll find two things:  The clapper rod, and the bias tension rod.  The bias tension rod has a section in the middle that looks like a spring, and the tip of the rod can be moved to a few different positions.  Try moving it to the other positions to see if it loosens up the ringer and allows it to ring louder.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2727874286_6edc229728.jpg
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Quote from: Tonyrotary
Ya know The wife took one look at the phone and then tried to claim it as hers!!...lol. I said wait I bought you the 500 you wanted. She said we can swap! I told her no way, it going on my desk.....lol. I am glad she liked it though.

Gee I guess I should maybe count myself lucky that my GF isn't interested in my phones.  Just wait until your wife sees an AE 40 and has to decide between that and a WE 302.  Decisions decisions... ;)

Tonyrotary

Thanks Bingster. Gonna save that info.

Hobie, Yeah did I mention she does want an AE40 too? LOL.

foots

Nice 302 Tony, looks really clean. I hope to get myself one also (in metal) and of course its companion the 354 wall phones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

I think you'll like the metal 302s Foots. They are easy to spot on Ebay because the paint is usually worn off around the "ears" by the handset showing the gray zinc underneath.

Tonyrotary

Foots, I also want to get a 354 one day in addition to a nice AE50. That would about do it for my wall phones as I already own a 554 and a starlite wall phone( due in any day now)