"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Soft Plastic 500 with Ivory Straight Handset Cord

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 19, 2015, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

I bought this phone a couple of years ago, but I just got around to polishing and reassembling it.  It seems to be more rare than I originally thought with several features not found on later 500s as I described in the listing.  I am hoping that some serious collectors will see value in it and help me reduce my clutter here while also helping to support my habit.  A local collector told me a few days ago that he sold an ivory 500 with an ivory straight handset cord for $400+.

Please feel free to bid as often as you like :D

Larry

unbeldi

I have to say that the ivory color on these is one of my favorites, a rich color.

The ivory and brown sets (other than gray of course) were the only ones that had matching straight cord colors in the first half of 1954, so this is special.  Indeed, the three-post dial mounts only existed until mid-1954. I think by the third quarter they had only two posts.

This phone is no clutter.  :-*

jsowers

Larry, it's a very nice example and an early one too. Whether it's $400 worth remains to be seen. Again, don't quit your day job just yet.  :)

You want to see the last ivory straight cord 500 that sold? According to my bookmarks it was on 6-20-14. It went to me and for $20.50 plus $15.30 shipping. It's a basket case and I haven't tackled it yet. I think it's a smoke victim. It's faded to a butterscotch color with lots of mold and crud on the dial face. Makes yours look like a brand new one by comparison. They don't get much more faded than this one. One day when I feel brave, I may tackle it.

I hope you have good luck with your auction and it's great to see a Tenite phone again up for bids.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: jsowers on November 19, 2015, 11:17:01 PM
Larry, it's a very nice example and an early one too. Whether it's $400 worth remains to be seen. Again, don't quit your day job just yet.  :)

You want to see the last ivory straight cord 500 that sold? According to my bookmarks it was on 6-20-14. It went to me and for $20.50 plus $15.30 shipping. It's a basket case and I haven't tackled it yet. I think it's a smoke victim. It's faded to a butterscotch color with lots of mold and crud on the dial face. Makes yours look like a brand new one by comparison. They don't get much more faded than this one. One day when I feel brave, I may tackle it.

I hope you have good luck with your auction and it's great to see a Tenite phone again up for bids.

Jonathan,

A chlorine bleach sun bath after a good cleaning should do wonders for your phone.  I have salvaged a few basket cases like that.  Just don't list yours until mine is sold :).

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2015, 06:33:55 AM
A chlorine bleach sun bath after a good cleaning should do wonders for your phone.  I have salvaged a few basket cases like that.  Just don't list yours until mine is sold :).

What a difference a day with a hot chlorine bath can make:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10094.msg107351#msg107351

jsowers

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've had good luck bleaching out smoke fading on Tenite before, except on the ivory handset cord. It may require peroxide creme.

Larry, you're safe for a long time selling your phone. It's past bleaching weather here in NC. Summer is best.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

The Ericofon I bought a few months ago (forum link) was seriously discolored, especially from tobacco, but I was able to remove most of the discoloration with bleaching.  There was one really bad (and smelly) spot though which required sanding with a fine Micro mesh pad.

The ivory 500 I have listed now had a bleach bath after I bought it.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I really need to get a true soft Ivory. I have one that I 'created' more or less, but only the dial bezel and transmitter cap are Tenite, the rest is '70s parts from my parts stash. After 2 years and more than one near-buy, I still don't have one...

I also need to peroxide my recent White 554 find, which I'll start tomorrow. I'll follow up on that when it's finished.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Here is a nice 1959-02-26 (housing date, otherwise March)  Tenite  502BR-50:
It was installed on a key system, as indicated by the designation card dial window (station N).

No bleaching was necessary, shown as received for $25.

HarrySmith

Quote from: unbeldi on November 20, 2015, 08:51:16 AM

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2015, 06:33:55 AM

What a difference a day with a hot chlorine bath can make:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10094.msg107351#msg107351

WOW, that did make quite a difference! Even turned that black handset cord white!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 20, 2015, 06:39:11 PM

WOW, that did make quite a difference! Even turned that black handset cord white!

Yes, special recipe mixture using gamma ray illumination with pigment conversion.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

Looks like someone's got their max bid ready to go!

I hope you get $400 for it!

Could this be an auction contest-contestant?

LarryInMichigan

Well, the phone sold tonight for $454, so apparently that is the going rate for these.  I felt stupid for paying $40 for it at the flea market a couple of years ago.

Who knows?

Larry