News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I use a WE 425K Network in a ATC CHESTPHONE with WE Components?

Started by RotoTech99, November 24, 2018, 11:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a ATC Chestphone with a WE component plate that has a damaged 4228D network I need some help and advice on please.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a WE 425K network, but I need to know if the 425K will have enough clearance/room to fit on the WE component plate; particularly when I go to reassemble and close the set up?

I've attached a photo of the 425K; any help,  ADC advice,  and suggestions would be appreciated, please and with my sincerest thanks.

Key2871

It may be a hight problem. Do you have access to an ITT PC network? It's about the same hight as a 4228 and has all the connection points same mount points etc.
I have one PM if interested.
KEN

RotoTech99

Hi,  Key2871:

As it turns, I had a scrapped WE CS Princess with a 4293J network I was able to scavenge; my only minor error was when I removed the network,  the cap.  pack didn't come out with it,  so I had to resolder it back,  which went well.  The way the CS Princess is configured,  it's not easy to get out,  and that black double stick tape WE used didn't make it easier.

I installed it in my Chestphone with white heavy duty double stick tape,  and wired it in; aside from having 7 hook leads instead of 6, it wired the same as  the 4228D.

The only thing done different,  was the 7th lead,  the grey hook lead I placed with the yellow hook lead,   and red line lead.

The set performed as expected,  working well.

You don't by chance have any WE 4293 networks,  or 72 type dials with the white buttons,  please?

If you find either of those,  please keep me in mind.

Rototech99

Key2871

Sorry, no. I don't happen to come across Western sets I have to canableise before I chuck the rest. As far as the loveable dials go, I have one in a base complete and working that I also don't want to part out. What stuff I do have is odds and ends I pick up in the summer months while doing testing for clarity. I don't come across many Westerns any more.
Mostly cheap China phones, of already half goes to scrap because it doesn't work. Unique western stuff I sell separately else where for them. But I'm glad to hear your work turned out well. I hated that sticky tape they used for networks in the CS sets. Any way to cut corners.
KEN

RotoTech99

Dear Key2871:

That's understandable..

I'm looking for the WE W1A tone ringer,  if you run across one,  keep me in mind; I had one a number of years back.

For a tone ringer,  it was surprisingly loud,  which I liked,  and the variable volume was a major reason for liking it.

RotoTech99

Key2871

I come across external ringers from time to time, last one I saw was an at&t gong ringer. I've not ever seen a tone ringer round these parts. But I'll keep my eyes out for something like that.
Ken
KEN

RotoTech99

The only reason I'm objectionable to that black double sided tape is because it apparently wasn't available commercially; it's got very good hold strength, you can't easily remove a component held by it by hand.

You have to use a screwdriver or similar tool to pry the component up off of it.

I can see it making sense to use if its appropriate for the component being mounted.

RotoTech99

Key2871

Yes I know, I've encountered it before. I bet it's from 3M. They did all there business with them for adhesive pads etc. And 3M makes some real tough stuff.
KEN