News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HA-Receivers - Any Cure?

Started by Lewes2, November 19, 2018, 04:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Hello all - it's been about three years since I was last on the forum.  Nice to be back!

I have two questions:

I have been asked, and agreed, to donate one of my 302s to a raffle for our nonprofit organization.  It's been sitting on the shelf so I thought I better check it out and "tune it up" before letting it go. I did find a loose screw (not me) on the network which I tightened down.  Another issue was very low volume through the HA-1 receiver.  I tried three different HA-1s before finding one that significantly increased the volume to "normal" levels.   

So, my first question: what causes these HA-1 to loose their volume?  Any way to fix them? Or do I just toss them? 

Second question:  On another 302 we use in the house, it has a very strong ringer when someone dials in, and I can hear a dial tone immediately after the call, BUT subsequently, the handset is dead.  I am using an F4 handset with T-1 transmitter and a U3 receiver.   

Is this a handset issue or is something else amiss?  The H5 dials works fine.  I've double checked the wiring.  The phone was working when I originally completed it's "restoration.   Might it be the network with sporadic internal problem? 

As always, thanks for your thoughts and help!

RB

Receivers can lose magnetism, and become weak.
Don't know of a fix, other than replace.
Someone said a 302 wont work right without a transmitter installed.
May be the source of your trouble??
just a guess.

HarrySmith

The carbon granules in the transmitter elements will sometime "clump" together and not work properly. A sharp rap flat on a hard surface will usually loosen them up & restore proper operation. On the other F4 issue I would start by checking the cord. I keep a known good handset & cord with alligator clips installed on the wires for testing such issues. I disconnect the problem handset and clip my tester on to check.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Lewes2

First off, I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving! 

OK, with respect to my second question, which I'll repeat here:

QuoteOn another 302 we use in the house, it has a very strong ringer when someone dials in, and I can hear a dial tone immediately after the call, BUT subsequently, when I lift the handset, it's dead.   I am using an F4 handset with T-1 transmitter and a U3 receiver.   

Is this a handset issue or is something else amiss?  The H5 dials works fine.  I've double checked the wiring.  The phone was working when I originally completed it's "restoration.   Might it be the network with sporadic internal problem? 

So, this morning, I tried several things, first I swapped out the both the handset and line cords - no change.  Then I swapped out the network, but that didn't correct the issue either.

I've double checked the wiring against the illustrated (color) wiring chart.  It appears to be correct.

So, next on the list I plan to swap out the dial and switch.  To the naked eye, the switch appears to working correctly, opening and closing contacts. 

Chuck

RB

Chk the Dial switches, and hook switches.
That's about all that's left...