News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoration WE205

Started by Doug Rose, December 31, 2009, 10:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I buy the 0000 steel wool at my local Ace Hardware.  It's cheap.

I tried the Skin So Soft thing once.  It took me forever to get that flowery smell off my hands and everything else.  I wasn't impressed enough with the results to try it again.  I'm sure I didn't do it right as I didn't leave it on all night.  I just wiped it on and wiped it off.  I ended up throwing the bottle (nearly full) in the trash.  The very strong fragrance was nauseating to me.

Dan/Panther

I've tried a few different solutions on bakelite, but after about a week it seems to just evaporate. You say the Skin So Soft stays.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

D/P....I leave it on overnight and then wipe of the excess. It leaves a nice shine and stays as long as your bakelite isn't too dry. Like stain on wood, it will absorb if the bakelite is really dry. Some people hate the smell so it might be an acquired taste!....Kidphone
Kidphone

Greg G.

Wear some rubber gloves like you would working with harsh chemicals.  I too, detest strong "perfumey" fragrances, but will give it a shot (but with gloves).   Dennis - what do you use to polish bakelite?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I just clean the Bakelite by soaking in warm sudsy water.  That often leaves them looking dull.  Then I use Novus2.  For the most part Novus works good for me.  But I polish it over and over again until there is no more yellow/brown coming off on the rag.  Sometimes it takes a while.  I start by hand polishing (say a G1 and/or F1 handset) by hand, then use my hand held buffers, then will do it by hand some more.  I just keep working it until it's as good as it gets.  I have also used black paste shoe polish on the real stubborn handsets.  It helps to put a shine back on them.  But I use that only when it's a last resort.  Some of the old F1's shine up very nice, very quickly.  Some never get a gloss shine again.  It helps when it's nice to begin with.  But I keep in mind that I'm removing 60 years worth of hand oils, grit and grime.  It takes time.  When you think it looks good, do it again. 

Greg G.

Like a lot of things, just a lot of elbow grease and patience.  Thanks for the tips!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e