News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 HANDSET SERVICE TIPS

Started by bingster, September 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I had an E1 receiver cap that was so tough, I had to cut it off the handset with a dremel tool.  Once the cap was off, the reason became apparent:  The aluminum had become severely corroded and had swelled inside the cap, not only locking the cap in place but locking the aluminum to the handset handle (it had to be cut off, too).
= DARRIN =

oliva7

I wired up a 202 with a E1 handset.  The dial works, the mouthpiece is great but I can only hear oh-so-faintly.  Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but assuming I can disassemble the earpiece, what am I looking for?  What can I fix?

deedubya3800

I had this problem with my E1. It turned out that the receiver cap was on so tight that the diaphragm could not vibrate like it's supposed to. It took strap wrenches to get the cap loose, but I'm glad I did because it sounds so much better now!

The diaphragm is just a little thin steel circle that's held in place—and made to vibrate—by the magnet in the receiver.

Witty

Wow!

I just read through this whole ordeal, it was very fascinating and enlightening, and I have to tell you...I'm totally exhausted!  I think I need to sit down and take a long break  :D

Bill,
Your descriptive was excellent. I felt like I was there hands on through every little detail of the whole process.  The in dept details and the valuable input from others was also excellent.  Great job!

And to help keep anyone from feeling like they're going to be walking down a dark blind alley, I would suggest anyone who is going to open up an old E1 handset, read this forum blog first.

Ken
Ken

HowardPgh

On the subject of receivers.
I don't like testing them with the DC click test, I use the beeper that is used for line tracing to test them, it is loud.
Also when re assembling a diaphragm type receiver, make sure the magnet faces are and the rim it rests on are clean. Also make sure the ring in the cap is clean, and of course make sure it is clean.  Any little dirt will affect its performance.
Howard

oliva7

I want to add what I did to make the earpiece work.  After strapping the handset apart and looking dumbfounded at the pieces, I went back to the message board.  I slowly came to accept that the phone may not be correctly wired, considering the wires from the handset were all wrapped in brown yarn.  So I swapped the red and black and now it works great.

DavePEI

C'mon, guys, shell out some dough for a strap wrench. They aren't hard to find, and will perform miracles on handsets. I see a lot of people saying they "must" get one. Yes, you must. I have had one for years, and though I don't have the need for it often, when I do need it, I really need it, and it has never let me down.

I also have  the pin type removal tool, and a special G handset removal tool - neither out-performs the strap wrench, and the before-mentioned can scratch the material of the handset.

I just wanted to underscore - a strap wrench is one of those tools which you shouldn't be without.

For the cost of one set of strap wrenches, you can save a fortune in irreplaceable handsets. Don't think about it - just do it! :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Dave's post brought this thread to my attention. It seems to be a very popular topic so I have "sticky'd" it and am now going to merge a couple of other threads on the same topic together with this one.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

What a great thread!

I just read through the whole thing and disassembled my first E1!

A small strap wrench I have had for decades and not used much, a hair dryer on low and a plastic bag...a few minutes later the stuck transmitter cap came off the aluminum!  (I used a leather glove to grip the bakelite and the strap wrench on the aluminum.)

Is there a recommended material for cleaning the oxidation off the aluminum threads and for preventing future seizing?

Thanks to all for the suggestions and insight!!!

Nick

AE_Collector

Since this is several threads merged together it is probably a little bit disjointed. However, Nick just had success with his E1 handset due to everyone's contributions including instructions & pictures so it looks like we have another happy "customer".

I am not sure about what can be done to prevent future seizing of E1's but someone here must have some ideas.

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: AE_collector on November 07, 2012, 09:49:31 PM
I am not sure about what can be done to prevent future seizing of E1's but someone here must have some ideas.

Terry
For cleaning E1 aluminum thread oxidation, I use a small (2") rotary wire brush in my drill press, and then simply apply a little anti-seize compound on the threads before re-assembling the handset. I have also  used clear dielectric silicone on the threads with equal success. This is the gel that you place inside your spark-plug boots on your car's engine to prevent corrosion and moisture from entering the wiring. A small tube (that will last forever) can be found for a very reasonable price at any auto parts store.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Nick in Manitou

Thanks!  I will hit the auto parts store tomorrow!

Nick

Bill

I agree that strap wrenches are a needed tool. Let me make a note, here, that I have two of them that I bought from Ace Hardware. They are Klein, which should be good, but in fact they are almost useless. The problem is that the strap material is a slick red plastic, and despite the fact that there are little grooves cut into the working surface, they are not the least bit grippy. They slip as soon as force is put on them! To use them, I must wrap a layer of adhesive tape or duct tape around the part to be gripped. That's annoying!

So by all means, get a strap wrench. Make sure the strap is long enough - and make sure that it is grippy. I've used wrenches with either a canvas strap, or a soft "live rubber" surface. These work well.

Bill

HarrySmith

I got my strap wrenches from a plumbing supply place. Here is my post from a while back about them.

Re: New troll here... ***Updated with pics, 6th post in***
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still have trouble with that cap you can get strap wrenches here:
http://www.sloanplumbingparts.com/sloan-ebv-22-strap-wrench
I got two of them and have not had a handset I could not get the caps off since.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry is correct, the Sloan straps are great and really hold on to the caps. They are a must to own...Doug
Kidphone