"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French PTT24 - Made in Berlin 1928

Started by FABphones, September 01, 2018, 04:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I've bought 'just one more'  ;D PTT24.

Another of my dark fuzzy photo finds, this one is a bit unusual. Everything is marked as being made in France apart from the column base/stem itself. The riveted plaque says made in February 1928 by Deutsche Telephonwerke, Berlin. The other writing on the plaque is in French. On the reverse of the base near the mousehole it is clearly stamped into the metal, in French, 'property of the state'.

It's definately a renovation project. Thick mould on the components inside, we think this one must have been stored in the cider celler ;), very damp.

Initial check over of the phone also shows some flaking of exterior paint, cord to ecouter not attached, mould on transmitter endcap, rust, issues with receiver, damage to handset cord, no line cord, wrong dial, base felt rotted.

Work is underway, more photos to follow.  :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

I've removed and replaced the woollen felt type base covering. It wasn't difficult (pretty much the same as a 202 I think). Outlining procedure below for anyone that needs to do the same at any point:

Remove the base (2 screws), remove the inner circlip, cut and fit new fabric, fold up into rim and replace circlip. The clip holds the fabric in place nicely. If you need a 'third hand' a small amount of glue can be used around the inner rim to help hold the new covering in place whilst replacing the circlip. When fitting, work the cover from opposite sides to get a nice even fit. Don't over pull or you may damage the fabric.

I have several meters of black so that's what I used, but the cover on this should preferably be brown.

Before/After Photos  :) :

FABphones

This is one of my projects which was held up in the queue  :-\  but I have finally finished it today.

I managed to keep the original paintwork and tidy it up, but one area on the body (mid right) had a paint blister which took lots of touching up and sanding back to try to match in.

The metalwork isn't chrome, it has a just slightly brassed effect but it polished up nicely.

Not a good day to get Bakelite shiny, far too cold in my work area.  :(

I changed the dial for an earlier one as I think they look better.

HarrySmith

Nice. Came out looking great. Agreed, the older dial looks much better.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks Harry. Took a while but I had so many phone projects in progress (all waiting on an elusive part for the one in front), I didn't dare open another up or let any jump the queue.

I have put it in the entrance hallway, it looks right at home on a French marble table. This was originally the placement of the only phone socket in the property, and where a phone of this age/style would have originally been placed.

:)

HarrySmith

Cool. It's great you got a period table in the original location. That just completes the whole thing.
Very Nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

A very pretty phone. Nicely done!

Scott K.

AL_as_needed

With that beauty cleaned up and in service, it leaves room for just one more  ::)
TWinbrook7

tubaman

Nice job FABphones!
I have just the one PTT24 and it's definitely one of my favourite phones.
You made the right move with the older dial - it looks much better for it.
:)

Pourme

Congrats, Fab....Another job well done!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

Thanks guys, you are very kind.

I would have liked to get the Bakelite shining more but I learnt a lesson, not to work in too low a temperature. It's true that polishing lotions and potions (as I call them), need to be used above a certain deg, too low (as in this case) and the high gloss just won't happen.

Doug Rose

Kidphone