"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Items Received and on the Way!

Started by DavePEI, July 01, 2014, 12:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Dave,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your updates about things at the museum.  Enjoyable and educational...I guess that is what museums are supposed to be.

Well done.

Thanks,
Nick

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on July 29, 2014, 05:03:29 AM
One item of interest to a lot of you is there is a Northeast Electronics Dial Analyzer in the lot. It is missing its outer case and looks as though it had been rack mounted, but it looks intact. I will have to look it over further. It measures make-break ratio and dial speed and a number of other functions.

I would be surprised if this is a dial analyzer. Do you have a manual?  I think it is a signaling test set, that generates among other things pulse trains to switching equipment to test the switchboard end, not a dial. Western Electric had a signaling test set No. 2B, that I think is the equivalent.

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on July 30, 2014, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on July 29, 2014, 05:03:29 AM
One item of interest to a lot of you is there is a Northeast Electronics Dial Analyzer in the lot. It is missing its outer case and looks as though it had been rack mounted, but it looks intact. I will have to look it over further. It measures make-break ratio and dial speed and a number of other functions.

I would be surprised if this is a dial analyzer. Do you have a manual?  I think it is a signaling test set, that generates among other things pulse trains to switching equipment to test the switchboard end, not a dial. Western Electric had a signaling test set No. 2B, that I think is the equivalent.
Northeast Electronics, TTS-26B, is a Pulse Signal Test Set. It is a multifunction instrument, which may be used for testing dials, and also setting up registers and trunks on SA1 Xbar switches. They can be used to set the Make/break times of the outpulsing relays.

To use to set up dial speed and breaks, the controls on the upper left hand side are used as confirmed by rdelius. The dial connectors, adjust break % is used to calibrate the test, in conjunction with the meter switch.

If it is undamaged and works properly will be much easier than setting up my scope each time I wish to check the timing of a dial.

Incidentally, for anyone who does work with T1 lines, you might be interested in a portable T Carrier Monitor I received and Electrodata TM-1. It is of little use to me, but I could be pursuaded to let it go. It gives all indications that it is operational.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

Still work with TI circuits at the radio station but ATT is dropping the service in some markets.Use T1 for high quality audio connections with less problems than internet. Hope the dial analizer still works
Rebuilt 1000s of dials with it

DavePEI

Today's Report 3:40 pm.

Today, I tackled a few jobs, including testing out the NEC TTS-26B. I almost have it working, but its oscillator isn't operating. So I will tackle it again when my mind clears... I do however, have it powering up - just have to get past that problem...

I cleaned and tested out the white Contemprette which was in the second last lot - it works like a charm. It is the digi-pulse dialing version of the Contemprette and in NOS condition (after cleaning). No discoloration or scratches. So onto display beside my Contemporas it will go. Does anyone know what the 9 volt battery is for on the Contemprette... Memory backup? It works with or without the battery - this is about all I can see it being there for. Contemprette isn't a model we normally see in Canada, but we do see tome of Contempras.

The other day I mocked up the PMG 800 - the Australian key lock dial phone. I made a new wiring harness for it today, shorted the red and white line cords and connected the line green to its blue lead. Previously I had shorted the intra-ringer leads so it would ring.

Put it on my BK tester, and all worked other than dialing out. Hmmm. Must have been getting tired. I forgot to turn the key on so it could dial! Works like a charm and is another phone which appears NOS - no scratches or discoloration. I really like that phone.

I may do more later on, but for the time being I am exhausted!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Ah, finally, the last of it should be on the way on Friday. This time, no easy free way to get it down -- there are almost 40 boxes of assorted "stuff" (2 pallets), so I had to arrange to have it shipped freight....

Glad to have the last of it coming, and it should be in Charlottetown on Monday... I will find out next week what is in them!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

As I prepared my storage area today in preparation for the arrival of the last two pallets of phones, I noticed several items I hadn't paid much attention to before...

First, in one box, were 4 NOS White AE187 3 Line Phones. All are still in their plastic sleeves as they came in from the factory. Sadly, on one the faceplate was dinged in, but otherwise even that phone is perfect.

One other item of interest is a 1920s
Western Electric 10-D speaker driver base roughly the size and shape of apint paint can. An ohmmeter check shows continuity through its coil. Also there is a Western Electric Shawphone and a Dictograph Products (ID = 1372135) Speaker-P. in the batch. All these are variations of horn speaker from the 20s.

Another nice item, though not NOS like the other NT Contemprette:I found earlier in the week, was another white Contemprette. It, as compared to the other one I found does show minor wear from use.

Also found today were several Leich 901 Convertible magneto phone cases in great shape. The bases are there, but the magneto and coils have been stripped from them. I took notice of this, as when my 901 (on display) arrived, its case had been smashed, and it took some time to find a good case for it.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Well, I should say the last two pallets are now on the way. The truckers I hired to bring down the pallets gave the pickup ticket to the wrong truck - one heading west on Friday! As a result, it stayed there over the weekend. It was finally picked up at noon.

So, I have two people arranged to come in with me later this week to put them on pickup trucks at the terminal and then to bring them out and re-stack them on the pallets to prepare them for sorting. I can't wait until I get the chance to see what is in them.

Incidentally, I am sure I will have some great goodies to give people who visit the museum this fall, all thanks to Don. Alas, in the past this hasn't been possible, as I only got those items I needed for display and had few spares...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

The AE type 187s most likely came from Electro Installation in Snow Camp NC.They bought wherehouses full of new AE equiptment then they were shutting down.They cut the cords off the sets for scrap and we bought the sets for the parts.Nice clean white coiled cords with capsules and the touch pads were good for conversion and repairing AE single slot paystations.

DavePEI

Quote from: rdelius on August 11, 2014, 01:27:58 PM
The AE type 187s most likely came from Electro Installation in Snow Camp NC.They bought wherehouses full of new AE equiptment then they were shutting down.They cut the cords off the sets for scrap and we bought the sets for the parts.Nice clean white coiled cords with capsules and the touch pads were good for conversion and repairing AE single slot paystations.
That could very well have been the original source. They are NOS, but someone had cut the multi-conductor cord off them. The phones, their handsets, and the phone bodies were wrapped on original type plastic bags, and no signs of use. Glad to get them, as the only 187 I had on display was fairly obviously used, though in better than average condition.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

The cords were cut off for scrap before the the sets were sold to COT  .COT sold out to Old phone works in Canada.Electro Installation  had Strowger  switch parts,dials,chrome fingerwheels and associated parts ,3 slot parts,NOS plastics.I have a pile of Strowger switch jack fields from there.Got lots of dial mounting kits that allowed you to put a WE #7 or 9 dial on a type 80.Kits had 4-36 screws. They were opening the kits and dumping the contents in the scrap metal piles.We never needed dial screws again

DavePEI

Hi All:

After a really tiring day, here is a very short report about today's arrival of two more pallets of phones and phone items from Don.

The shipment arrived at Day and Ross this morning, and we took two pickup trucks in this afternoon to get the load at their Charlottetown depot. Both pallets were stacked to about 6 feet tall and over 1250 lbs in all. One pallet was placed on each truck and tied down securely, and the slow trip home began. We were amazed at how patient other drivers were as they navigated around our convoy. No one beeped, and no one gave us the finger, as we kept the speed along the route to well under the speed limit.

When we arrived here our other help arrived and it took close to two hours for three people  to move the load, box by box, indoors and stack it all on pallets inside.

Now, in the barn there is a stack of phones and phone equipment 4 feet tall and 16 feet long... It has been growing all summer, but now with over 70 boxes full in there, it is quite remarkable!

While of course, I haven't had much time to look through it, I have noticed some really interesting items as we unloaded.  To begin with, there are two NE panel payphones, a QSK100A and QSK2100A, and one US CRT payphone. There is a complete Conference phone set in its case, two NT Displayphones, and unless my eyes deceived me as we unloaded, there is a small Strowger Demo unit buried in the middle of the pile. Beyond that, I really can't even tell you - a case of true sensory overload!

Tomorrow, I will try to get through a bit more and take some photos.

Thanks, Don!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Altright. Here are the first two, and I think you will find them both interesting.

Shown first is a keysender which would have been used on a  switchboard for speedy entry of numbers. It was one of thousands of interesting items in today's batch...

Then an item we all recognize, but shouldn't - a blue box, used by hackers back in the day to navigate the long distance network. It sent tones in the MF form to control network switching. Strangely, it had a working battery in it. However, this form of switching hasn't been available in  years thanks to technological changes and to abuses of the system.

Reminds me of Phil's book!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

A 1920s fire telegraph which turned up in the batch!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001