News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dialled Digit Analyser 1A

Started by FABphones, March 05, 2022, 10:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This neat little bit of kit was brought to me today. Rescued from an ex phone stores room and literally enroute to the proverbial skip.

Can't find any info online but looks to be a simple enough piece of portable test equipment. Plug the phone in and dial a number to test. Unit takes AA batteries.

Looking forward to trying this out, it will make dial testing even simpler than my current test units.

Never seen or heard of one of these prior. If any of our ex-BT engineer members are familiar with it I would like to know more. Came in it's case but no manual. Manufactured by Fern Developments Ltd.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

countryman

It says "For DTMF/LD signalling systems" on it... what is the meaning of LD? Will it support pulse dialing?

poplar1

Quote from: countryman on March 06, 2022, 07:18:51 AM
It says "For DTMF/LD signalling systems" on it... what is the meaning of LD? Will it support pulse dialing?

LD = "Loop Disconnect" (pulse dialing) in this context, and not "long distance" (toll call, interurbain).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

DTMF =
Dual Tone Multi Frequency ('push button')

LD =
Loop Disconnect (rotary)

—-

Thanks for the link poplar.

countryman

Thanks  :)
The linked forum thread mentions that the device reads out the make/break times - perfect!
Must be a rare find, and sure very helpful to evaluate dials!

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on March 06, 2022, 08:04:22 AM
...Must be a rare find, and sure very helpful to evaluate dials!

Can't be too many of them about. I searched online for info and found nothing bar the company details, poplars link, plus one other available to rent as a stage prop.

Particularly useful as it is so easily portable. Each phone can be tested insitu, without having to remove and take back to the workshop.

ETA: image added.