News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Payphone 233G Worked, But Stopped Working.

Started by RoatryPhoneLover_2000, September 19, 2022, 06:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi all I have a post about my 193g which I am still working on but I found a what I believe to be a 233G Payphone.  It came out of my grandfathers house when we are emptying out some boxes, I converted the hardwired cable coming out of the back to modular so I could get it to plug into my line, I got a very strong dial tone, called my cell and I decided to call the phone itself, the phone rang 2-3 times and it stopped ringing my line kept on ringing but answering the phone does nothing.  I unplugged the phone (it was the only phone plugged in) and restarted my modem and re plugged in all my other phones and those phones work but I unplugged those phones and plugged back the Payphone and now it doesn't work nada.  Did I possibly fange something by calling it?  I obviously can provide photos but this is more of a question here because I feel like I damngrd it and I feel like if I could go back to that moment, I would cancel the phone call.

HarrySmith

I doubt calling it would do any damage that would cause it to stop working. Have you opened it up yet? I would check all the wiring. Could be a loose connection or a couple of spades touching somewhere inside?  Also dirty contacts might be the cause.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Can I send you pictures, I am thinking the same thing I mean these were made for the phone company and they should be tough and shouldn't stop working just like that. 

TelePlay

First thing I would do is use a digital voltmeter (DVM) on continuity or ohms setting to check or test the continuity of the line cord with the new modular plug.

Sometimes, putting a modular connector on a cord leads to a short in the modular conductor. And sometimes, the modular pins might be close to a conductor (just grazed the metal wire) but not dead center solid leaving a resistance in the connection so the 90 VAC ring voltage after a few rings may have fried that connection, just like blowing a fuse.

If the modular plug is good, check the continuity between the plug and the ringer and ringer capacitor.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi, what I meant by modular is the end just had copper exposed and I used a wall jack that I had laying around and hardwired the old cable from the phone to the jack then plugged a modular cord.  I checked the ringer capacitor and it seemed dead but I was using a voltage meter.  I am thinking what happens if I disconnect the ringer inside and just use it without a ringer and see what happens.

TelePlay

Try just connecting the ringer to the line with the ringer isolated from (out of) the phone, with and without the capacitor.

That is using the ringer like an extension ringer and it should ring, if working, when the line is called.

This will test the ringer and the capacitor.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

so if it doesn't ring then that means the ringer is bad right?

FABphones

Quote from: RoatryPhoneLover_2000 on September 19, 2022, 12:54:13 PMso if it doesn't ring then that means the ringer is bad right?

QuoteCan I send you pictures

Try it first and then get back to us with your result. Photos on this thread will help.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Quote from: RoatryPhoneLover_2000 on September 19, 2022, 12:54:13 PMso if it doesn't ring then that means the ringer is bad right?

These are the ringer circuits on all phones (2 and 4 wire ringers).

The ringer capacitator is used to block the ~5 VDC talk circuit voltage.

The same ringer capacitor allows the ~90 VAC ring voltage to operate the mechanical ringer.

In the 4 wire ringer diagram, the capacitor is in the network between the A and K terminals.

Since you did not attach images of your ringer, I don't know which diagram would be appropriate for your phone.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

it didn't work, I have a two wire ITT ringer and tried hooking it up to the line once, directly, and 2 other times using a rotary phone it doesn't work and its causing the line to go busy and it was dropped and missing one of the bells.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

it rang for two to three times and then ruined my modem needed to be Rebotted.  I don't think the ringer is good, also I hooked the phone up without no ringer and I got a loud static. can anybody help me out here any ideas before I mount it onto the wall and use as a decorative piece?

TelePlay

Do you have a DVM, digital volt meter, to help diagnose your circuitry?

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi, so all I want to let everybody know I have a fully working Payphone!  It turns out my line cord that I hooked up was bad and then the capacitor had been blown, I removed the capacitor wires,taped them up and was able to make a phone call just like I got it.  I am so happy right now thanks for all your help I had a gut telling telling me to look at the line cord and it fixed my issuse.  I hooked up a old wall jack I had and at first it wasn't hanging up.  And it couldn't dial out but I removed the capacitor wires and it worked amazingly.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Also just a last question, I have a 193G can I wire it just line this telephone and it will work?