News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I've been trying to think of a way to have myself a small bench in my shed, since I have two young boys who just love to get into thing's, and no space in the house for my projects that I want to do. I also test phones in the Summer months for a local charity to sell. They raise money for the local hospital to buy things like lamps and TV's for patent rooms.
For years I've been working off of a small piece of plywood on saw horse's with power strips in my shed. That was a pain in the butt set, since I had several cordless phones plugged into power strips, then had to find room for a extension phone and the test phone. Cords to plug into my BK product tester, things falling on the floor, cords getting tangled up every where. So I thought, we'll summer is fast approaching, I really want to get something made so I can test phones, plug in power when I need to. So even though it's still a work in progress, I've got the basics done, and even hope to be able to mount up my 551C since power is handy, an I have some space to hang it, and mount blocks on the back. I haven't had time to mount the KSU, yet. Perhaps the next few days.
But take a look and let me know what you think..
The handset has been removed to make it easier to mount the panel phone, and be cleaned. More to be added soon like a tool holder, test cords etc.
KEN

Nick in Manitou

Key2871

Thanks, I actually have the panel phone wired via a cord that comes out tight against the power strip, so when I'm testing phones I can plug in the panel to the aux port for answering system's testing. Also have a couple spring cords for connecting to the BK tester. Also have a spare G15A to check standard phones. But I think I may have a drawer under to put that in. And I plan on painting the whole thing grey, in a few days.
Oh and the BK is sitting on a shelf on the back of the.test desk (as I call it) more of the pictures tomorrow.
KEN

RB

HarrySmith

Looks nice! Is the panel phone is part of your testing?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yes, I use it for side tone from the phone I test to make sure it's got good sound quality. And I need it for testing answering machines. I used to have a separate set for this.
I went out to get some more pictures and to hang the KSU, and the handset hanger. I'm still on the fence about that being there. I used one in the past as it was handy to hang a handset on, I may leave the hanger, and just keep the handset handy under the bench top. Upper left is for the RT intercom unit, lower right is for some basic tools that will be on a custom tool hanger.
Anyway here's more pictures.. note the AMP connector inside the KSU. Something I obviously added for quick connect or disconnect. The small trim around the BK tester I made from scrap poplar, I had, besides it gives it a nicer look than the raw hole being cut to fit the tester.
KEN

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Thank you! I know the work area is kinda small, but I've gave it a lot of thought, and besides I'm using scrap wood I've had left over from other projects, and I can always add a larger piece later. The black spring cord has RJ12 ends for base jacks, the one currently on the handset is regular, but shorter H4DU in case the phone I test doesn't have a cord. The bracket I got out of a cheap 2554 makes a great hanger for the cords.
I kept colors different, so I can tell which is which, and they are sorter than standard cords, so they don't get mixed up with the stuff I'm testing for charity. From what I can tell from just messing with phone's today, I think it will work out pretty well.
Oh I keep forgetting, I'm making a cover for the panel phone in the back of the board. And my only expense so far is going to be the paint that I'm getting tomorrow.
KEN

RB

Very nice layout! direct and to the point.
Well done.

Key2871

Thank you, I've been working on phones for many years, and every thing good or bad, I have taken the experience and tried to make it easier on me by not repeating the previous goof. Last time working with a very small space, things got lost, tangled, and fell on the floor. Like my tester, slid off the backside of the bench, so when I came up with this design I said I'll build the tester right into the bench, that way it's out of the way, can't get bumped and fall. I had my KSU in the closet in my room, but it wasn't easily accessible, so I'm running a wire to the house to come from the system. About 10 feet, areal. With quick connect on the house in case of lightening . Working out the tool area now.
KEN

dsk

compubit

Very nice!

Giving me some ideas...  (Of course I need a gazillion hours without someone bothering me, though...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

Quote from: dsk on May 16, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
Perfectionism?
Impressing!

dsk
Thanks, my dad was a perfectionist, he always told me, "if you do something do it right the first time". So that's what I tend to do.
And I hear you Jim, it's taken me 7 years to get here.
However I just built this two days ago, granted I spent hours working on it. But it's the thought that has been years in the making of this. The hardest part for me, was disassembling the part that had all the 2 by's I needed. That had a few dozen small nails to remove.
I was resting the other evening thinking about how I would build the test desk,  and the idea of the whole thing came to mind from a memory I had of a switching office I saw on
you tube, the communications museum in Seattle.
I saw several switches though none had a work area to speak of,
but I saw a #3 ESS panel, with a black panel phone, and I thought how cool is that!
And the other night it all came back, and I said why not?
I have a panel phone, I'll use that for testing answering machines, and transmit quality of other phone's.
KEN

Key2871

Today I added the tool holder, to the right. Because space is becoming a problem.
The orange handle tool is my RJ crimper it crimps all RJ connectors, then wire cutters and Needle nose pliers. Screwdrivers are near the back.
I also mounted the intercom unit, and I'm designing it's connection layout in my mind.
Made a wall phone test Jack, I used a small modular coupler before, and it worked OK, but today I decided to just use a wall Jack and add a short spade cord and coupler.
Tomorrow the panel phone gets a new look, and going to make the cover for the back of the panel phone..
And layout the intercom connections, and quick connect to house phones, and my payphone. I want it to connect to the intercom so if the wife wants me the payphone rings. And if I want her, I just call the house. I'm not connecting with the house line. Because it's Magic Jack, and I don't like it because the quality is not good. And if someone wants to talk with me they just call my cell phone.
I would like to have it all operate on cell number, but I can't afford to buy the tech stuff to make that happen. And because we're in a moderate service area, so sometimes the cell doesn't always work great.
KEN

RotarDad

Great work - clean, neat and well-organized!  I might be tempted to add some type of covering over the plywood work surface to keep it clean.  I found a desk blotter (black plastic layer that protects the surface from scratches) in the trash at work.....  it's now on my workbench....  :). Easy to clean too!
Paul