News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Moss Green ITT 2500 Autodialer arrived: pictures and looking for information

Started by allnumbedup, January 16, 2022, 10:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I earlier posted this ebay purchase ($35 BIN including shipping) and now I am posting some pictures from it's listing (first two) and some inside shots. Jim Stettler identified this phone's unusual buttons as an auto dialer with "save and recall" buttons. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25818.msg252922#msg252922

I cannot find a description of this phone or keypad on TCI under ITT or Cortelco.  The bottom mark is hard to make out but appears to me to be "2500 99 FBA S".  The keypad is dated 7-82 and appears with ITT type stamping with "70 00 G"  There is a robust grounding shield atop the buttons and a second circuit board and a  terminal strip beneath the keypad.  There is a rectangular metal holder for a nine volt battery built into the dial mount.  There is a stack of contacts for the white exclusion key.  The base and handset are marked ITT.  The handset includes a smaller LB type receiver element marked as ITT both elements and ringer 1979-1982. There are no markings on what might be a capacitor? on the terminal strip.

Based on the markings, I am of the opinion that the phone is as manufactured by ITT and not an aftermarket add on.  I think the 9V battery likely maintains the memory and the exclusion key opens and closes tip and ring to allow memorization of at least one number.  I would like to get it restored and have not tested out the exclusion key yet.  I think the cord is a replacement and not quite moss green. I do not especially care for the green on green faceplate but bet this is typical of a later era 2500.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Jim Stettler

I think it is in the TIMM 2 manual that you can find in the tci library.
you should be able to search for it as TIMM 2

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

allnumbedup

Thank you for sending me to TIMM2. I looked there first and now went through that again as well Kellogg and Cortelco manuals without much luck. Except I found a paragraph in Cortelco and chart that helped me understand the code markings on the bottom better.  I now think it is marked: 2500 05  FBA ?? S.  This code would indicate a 2500 that is color=05(for moss green) F ( for partially modular as in hardwired handset, modular line cord--mine is all modular now) and BA (SL ringer) -- more usually MBA for modular and SL ringer.  Then  two illegible figures which made be a number stamped over "20" (that refer to features 20-57 which do not include the function here) and S (which I think is the dial or keypad designation and is usually M for metropolitan or sometimes F for Metropolitan with a Flash button ).  I cannot find a wiring diagram or any reference to the 70 00 G marked keypad with its battery and terminal strip connections.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/itt-practices/cortelco-practices/4901-cortelco-50-500-103-i3-mar89-2500-series-description/file
Analog Phones for a Digital World

poplar1

Section 50-500-104, Issue 3, March 1989 lists Replacement Parts in Table A. (TCI Library)

Part Number 007000-OOG  Dial Assembly, Pushbutton Repertory (Metropolitan, Letters and Numerals) (20S)

This dial was apparently used only with the 20 (no feature) set. S is the dial type.

The TIMM-2 is 1977. Perhaps you can find a reference later than 1977 but earlier than 1989.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.