News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallphone

Marty, my real name is Doug, it's usually at the bottom of my postings. Here is a pic of my BK 1050. The manual only has a block diagram in it, it doesn't have a schematic.

marty

Hi All;
Doug, Thank You for the picture, I have a chance to make a trade for one from another member... Which would make me very happy....
THANK YOU Marty

Stingo

QuoteA 500 or 2500 base may also be used as a subset, in which case the diagram labeled "685 Subset" is used.  When using a 500 or 2500 base as a subset, all the switch hook wires which are soldered to the network should either be unsoldered or snipped off.  Because of this alteration to the network, only a base which has no value and which is unfit or truly not needed for regular telephone service should be used. If you don't wish to unsolder or snip the soldered wires (and that's understandable), they may be left in place, but the switch hook arm must then be tied in the down position.  Using one of these bases as a subset also requires a jumper wire to be connected between network terminals "RR" and "L1".  Any short piece of thin wire will work for this.

Hi Bingster,
My apologies if I am posting too early, being new here. I hope I don't screw this post up. I have been reading and studying the threads on wiring up subsets, trying to narrow it all down to my specific WE 202 (see it in my avatar)...

I am using an old 2500 touchtone with L1 & RR jumpered per the instructions above. I plan to just secure the switch hook down rather than disconnect any wires to it. I am a TOTAL newbie at this and today is the first time I've even considered how a phone works, and I want to get the 202 operational. It DID work on its original vintage line. I got it from my friend's mother with ringer box missing.

My problem is I am unsure how to wire the 202 "4 prong" plug (Red, Yellow, Green, Black) to the 2500 and then to the wall jack. I am also wondering if there is any further rewiring that needs to be done to the 2500, other than the jumper from L1 to RR...

The 2500 "IN" has Red, Yellow, Green, Black.
The side jack for the handset is Red, White, Green, Black. (I'm assuming this doesn't get used for anything...)

Thanks!

Stingo
~Stingo

bingster

Hey Stingo, it's never too early to post! And you didn't screw anything up, either.  Welcome aboard!

Congratulations on your phone, and on having the excellent sense to use a subset with it.  I'm assuming the 2500 you have is modular, that is, the phone has the clip-in plugs for the handset cord and the line cord.  If it is, just unclip the handset cord from the side of the phone and tuck it in a drawer somewhere for safekeeping, as it'll only be in the way otherwise.  To hook the 2500 up to the phone line, just clip a modular line cord into the back, and the other end to the wall jack.  Once you've done that, you should have a properly functioning subset.  Pretty easy, right?

Hooking the phone up is just as easy.  I'm not sure what kind of plug you have at the end of the 202's cord, but it's not necessary, and won't connect to a subset.  There are a couple standard Bell System plugs (if that's what you have), and they have a single screw that holds the plug together.  Unscrew that screw and pull apart the pieces.  Inside you'll find four screws that hold down the ends of the colored conductors in the 202's mounting cord.  Unscrew all four to loosen the conductors and remove the cord from the plug.  From there, simply connect the four conductors to the proper terminals on the 2500's network as shown in the 685 Subset diagram (red to R, green to GN, yellow to L2, and black to B).  The positions of the terminals on your network may not be in exactly the same places as they are in the diagram, but they're all there, just the same.

Beyond the L1-RR jumper and tying the hookswitch arms down, there's nothing else that needs to be done inside the 2500, and you should be good to go.  Give that a try and let us know how it goes.
= DARRIN =

Stingo

Great! I'll give it a go....  :) I appreciate this so much! Glad to be here....
~Stingo

Stingo

Okay Darrin, I am wiring the phone cord to the 2500 (subset).... Got all the wires connected except black. I can't fnd a terminal labeled "B". I am attempting to attach a couple photos - one of the actual terminal plate in the 2500, and a drawing I did identifying the terminals.... Can you advise me where to connect the black wire?

I had to rewire the phone with a new wire as the old was made of a cloth type wire and clothe insulation so soldering was next to impossible.
~Stingo

bingster

Ahhh, you have one of those ultra new-fangled 2500s.  No worries.  You should also be able to connect the black conductor to "C" on the network without much difference in function.
= DARRIN =

Stingo

YAY!!!!!!!  :)

Done :) I tested it with the black connected to "C" and everything worked except the receiver volume is really low.... ?
~Stingo

Babybearjs

You did a beautiful job. there is a new person on the forum thats looking for this help, you guys need to share this with him.... I can't remember his name off hand...
John

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Babybearjs on October 11, 2011, 02:00:33 AM
You did a beautiful job. there is a new person on the forum thats looking for this help, you guys need to share this with him.... I can't remember his name off hand...

Could it be me?  ;D

RCMcDonald

Greetings all-

I'm new to the forum, but have already found it invaluable in getting a using a 2500 unit I've had knocking around as a subset to a D1/F1 (202?) desk set I recently picked up.  The wiring diagrams at the head of this discussion are invaluable for making this work.  I'm not quite out of the woods yet, as I can get the unit to ring and receive incoming calls, but when I dial out, the dial tone remains constant, even though I'm dialing numbers.  Can anyone here enlighten me as to whether I should be looking for a wiring problem or an issue with my dial?  I've checked and rechecked the wiring against the diagrams, and it looks good.  Something else I might have missed?  I did disconnect the keypad and the hook switch in the 2500, but it seems to me this problem is probably in the 202.

Thanks in advance for the help

HarrySmith

HI and welcome to the forum. A few pictures of what you are working on is always helpful, back of dial and network connections to start with. Also if you read down a few posts it is stated by Bingster you have to tie down the switch hook, I believe disconnecting it is not correct.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RCMcDonald

Harry -
Thanks for your post.  I removed the hook switch wires based on the initial post by bingster, where it states "When using a 500 or 2500 base as a subset, all the switch hook wires which are soldered to the network should either be unsoldered or snipped off.  . . . If you don't wish to unsolder or snip the soldered wires (and that's understandable), they may be left in place, but the switch hook arm must then be tied in the down position, and the dial wiring removed from the network."

Did I miss something?  The network in this phone is a 4228B.

I think you're on the right track, though as it does seem to be something to have to do with being on-hook or off-hook.  If I leave it connected for a while the line goes dead.  If I disconnect the line and reconnect it, I get a dial tone again.  Does that make sense at all?
Thanks for the help.

Bob McDonald

oldphonelover

By any chance do you have diagrams like this for candlestick phones? I have one of those with a dial and your mapping helped big time on my 202. So I am hoping you have candlestick maps as well like these. I have looked everywhere for the wiring but can't find one with my dial. Thanks and GREAT! work BTW...

bingster

I have similar black and white images of candlestick wiring, but I don't have a dial candlestick to glean color information from. 
= DARRIN =