News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Single Gong 273F Ringer box

Started by Doug Rose, July 04, 2010, 09:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors...anyone ever see a single gong ring box. Western Electric 273F, appox 9 by 6 inches. Really nice shape with a great Western Electric Decal. Paper patent numbers. I found this at a Flea market in Maine today....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

You never cease to amaze.  That looks like a very early common battery subset.  Is it an anti-sidetone subset?

Larry

Doug Rose

Hey Larry...thanks.... Janet and I got the the Rowley Flea Market at 6:15 AM and its an hour away from us. The early bird gets the ringer. We were on our way to Maine to visit her dad and this is always one of the Fleas markets we stop at. I just got finished applying Howard's to it, I'll post some pics later. To be honest, I don't know a anti-side tone from an anti-acid (humor). All I know is it is a ringer I have never seen before and I'm really happy with it. Great condition for a box that's last patent date is 103 years ago! It was a great deal to boot. I will give it a try to make it ring, otherwise, I will try to squeeze it into my phone room....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here's the finshed ringer, I am thrilled with it....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Doug!  Someone has been kind to it all these years.  I wish I knew more about the wooden boxes, but have to plead ignorant on them. Thanks for helping to educate us (me).

Doug Rose

Dennis...I'm not much of an educator on this, it is well beyond the realm of my alledged expertise. I just thought it is cool and it was really inexpensive.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

It has a great finish and look great.  Nice find!

LarryInMichigan

It is more than just a ringer box because it contains an inductor.  It was probably a subset for a WE 51AL.  Here is the only reference I see for it: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-western-electric-51al-candlestick-telephone.

I would love to know where, in this part of the country, there is a flea market with stuff like this.  Several weeks ago, I stopped at a flea market in western MI on my way to Chicago and found only junk.  I have found a couple of things at the very local Royal Oak flea market, but it is very small, and such finds are quite unusual there.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry.....I have been very fortunate with some finds lately, but we also put in the leg work. EVERY Saturday morning, weather permitting; we are out canvassing yard sales for between 4 and 6 hours. Every Sunday Janet (if I'm loading eBay) or the both of us hit at least one flea market. I am NOT a morning person, although I get up daily at 5:15 for work. Janet is up at 4:30 everyday and loves it.  We both enjoy the thrill of the chase. It used to be to find antiques for our house and or course, phones for me. As the college bills got greater, we used it as a second job. Love or hate eBay, it has been a life saver for us. I got the ringer Sunday and there was nothing else with two big flea markets and 5 big antique malls.  Nothing to sell, but something nice for me. I'm not complaining.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 05, 2010, 11:15:26 AM
Several weeks ago, I stopped at a flea market in western MI on my way to Chicago and found only junk.

Larry:
Someone here once said that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you can kiss a princess (or something like that).

I think phone-atic phone philosopher Vern from Utah said those words ...

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Doug;
It's a prototype for the ringer to be used with the early Princess phones that didn't have ringers. They decided it would look better in plastic.
I think Larry is correct, it's an early subset.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ryan_M

Hey Doug... Did you ever find anything else out about that 273F Ringer Box? Have you been able to use it as a subset? I just picked one up in Naples, Maine at an antique/flea market in much the same shape for $25.00. Did you have to modify it at all? Also, what did you use to clean the wood? I'll post pictures AFTER I clean it, although I think the finish on yours is in better shape.

Ryan_M

Yeah... Yours is in better shape definitely.

Vern P

Nice find for both of you. I don't know anything about them, but they are early, because of the square edge on them.

Yes Jorge, it is me who say's "You need to kiss a lot of frogs to find that prince" 

Keep kissing them frogs, you never know when that prince will show up.  :<)

Vern P

Doug Rose

Quote from: Ryan_M on February 16, 2012, 06:17:53 PM
Hey Doug... Did you ever find anything else out about that 273F Ringer Box? Have you been able to use it as a subset? I just picked one up in Naples, Maine at an antique/flea market in much the same shape for $25.00. Did you have to modify it at all? Also, what did you use to clean the wood? I'll post pictures AFTER I clean it, although I think the finish on yours is in better shape.
Ryan....yours is a beauty. Great decal. Try Howard's restorafinish. It works like a charm. You decal is outstanding so be careful! The Howard's will not bother it. It is on my list of projects to try and get this working on a stick, right now it is mounted proudly in my phone room. I'm heading to Maine tomorrow to see Janet's Dad. We hit all the stores around Kennybunk and Arundle. You got a great deal at $25....Doug
Kidphone