"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Such a Deal! - Antique Hotel Telephone 1913

Started by Doug Rose, October 17, 2018, 05:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Just imagine if it wasn't gutted. Only 5K...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HOTEL-TELEPHONE-1913-Hotel-Desk-Hand-Crank-from-New-York/123429586975

?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ..... Yes, it'd be $10,000.00 if it was a complete set !     The saying in Latin is kind of contrary to the price the seller is asking.    "Do not take as gold, everything that shines like gold". 

Jeff     

HarrySmith

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 17, 2018, 06:14:06 PM
Doug  ..... Yes, it'd be $10,000.00 if it was a complete set !     The saying in Latin is kind of contrary to the price the seller is asking.    "Do not take as gold, everything that shines like gold". 

Jeff     
Quite contrary!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

I'll go ahead and say it

What's so special about this one?

ReneRondeau

There's nothing special about it, other than the insanity of the price and the description...

Quotebelonged to an Italian hotel desk counter in New York, back in the 1913's.

In the 1913s??? That's a pretty narrow range.

QuoteNo collector's collection is complete without an antique collection.

Wait, what?

QuoteTHIS PIECE IS 100% INTACT

:o

QuoteWE CAN ONLY SHIP THIS ITEM WITHIN USA DUE TO ANTIQUE REASONS.

I wonder how old the reasons are? Maybe the 1913s?

QuoteTHIS IS NOT AN ORDINARY TELEPHONE.

Finally some truth!

FABphones

Quote from: ReneRondeau on October 18, 2018, 11:42:01 AM
There's nothing special about it, other than the insanity of the price and the description...

In the 1913s??? That's a pretty narrow range.

Wait, what?

:o

I wonder how old the reasons are? Maybe the 1913s?

Finally some truth!

;D ;D ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Just a few things I noticed with a quick review. Others may want to add to this list in additional replies.

=========================

The number card says "AD 1999"

The information card in the bottom window says "Do not take as gold everything that shines like gold"

The small plaque below the bottom window is held in place with Philips screws

The ringer bias spring is missing

No wires or wiring, anywhere

The updated 323? transmitter face plate shows the original patent date of "JAN 14 1913"

Seller complete eBay listing text:

ANTIQUE HOTEL TELEPHONE 1913's ERA"

THIS TELEPHONE WAS INHERITED FROM A NEW YORK HOTEL OWNER

Add to your "antique (1913's era)" collection and "show off with class", a recent antique hand crank telephone which belonged to an Italian hotel desk counter in New York, back in the 1913's.  The patent stamped on the plate is January 14, 1913, Record No. 323, made in USA.  You will see on the right hand side of the telephone box, each metal plate stamped with:  (1) Door Latch, (2) Manager and (3) Janitor.  The writing on the bottom of the telephone translates:  "Do not take as gold everything that shines like gold".

No collector's collection is complete without an antique collection.  Get ready to get compliment or to make that special gift, or that great charitable donation.  THIS IS YOUR CHANCE - DON'T LET IT GET AWAY FROM YOU!

If you are also looking for other items or collections, please feel free to go to my other wardrobes.

Antique Telephone Hand Crank Condition:  The telephone is pre-owned and in antique-great condition.  This is a VERY atypical piece.  THIS PIECE IS 100% INTACT AND HAS NOT BEEN RESTORED FROM FRAGMENTS.   If wondering if this will work on todays landline's ... I do not know.  I didn't inherited for that reason so I never tried or checked to see if it would.  That is up to the new owner if desired.  You will find all necessary information in the item description.  The images enclosed are with fine details and clearly visible eventual faults and/or defects, allowing making your own judgment.

Antique Telephone Hand Crank Measurement Details:

Height:  15 1/4"

Width:  7 1/4"

Antique Telephone Hand Crank Description:

Color:  Brass

Ear Piece:  Yes, but missing its lead

Material:  Part metal (bottom) and wood (top); back of the box is all wood

Weight:  Heavy

PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT THE ITEM BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO BUY, AND I COMBINE SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE ITEMS.

PLEASE NOTE:  Many other designer suits/sports jackets, tuxcido, shirts, ties, pants, vests, shoes, cufflinks, and etc. (Armani, Brioni, Burberry, Canali, Christian Dior, Ermenegildo Zegna, English Laundry, Etro, Faconnable, Giorgio Armani, Hugo Boss, Kiton, Paul Smith, Ralph Lauren, Robert Graham, Saks Fifth Avenue, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ted Baker, Thomas Pink, Tommy Bahama, Zanella, and etc.) be sure to check them out -- COMING OUT SOON!

INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY SHIPPING IS NOT POSSIBLE.  WE CAN ONLY SHIP THIS ITEM WITHIN USA DUE TO ANTIQUE REASONS.  SORRY!

RETURN POLICY:  No Return.

WE PREFER TO HAVE IT PICKED UP LOCALLY DUE TO ANTIQUE AND ITS VALUE.  THIS IS NOT AN ORDINARY TELEPHONE.  If you wish to insure your purchase, please notify us and we will include insurance cost when invoicing.

Thank you for checking out Bayshore2014 Listings!

Seller's online store:  https://www.ebay.com/str/bayshore2014?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Additional curious and supporting images from the eBay listing are attached.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Partyline4

Meh,   some person might buy it... You never know.  Offer him like 50 bucks

Daniel B.

Ebay seller can ask much more than the value...it's the game...sometime you can take a fish  and sold for much more you have expected...As a buyer,  If you like something, you have to take chance and make a reasonable offer...sometime, I found great deal like this...You don't have to be afraid by the asking price...

I don't know what's the final price of this gold phone $$$$$  but on my side, I found a copper apartment telephone for $143.50 auction format   ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1913-Western-Electric-Telephone-Model-323-Wall-Copper-Intercom-Business/382575142396

?hash=item59134165fc:g:awwAAOSwHIFbrXKK

Yes, my apartment phone is not complete but I like  to restore phone...It's always a challenge for me...I have a other metal made apartment phone to restore in my collection but I'm a copper lover so I'm really happy to finally get one...I already found some parts in my dungeon to complete my copper phone but one part will be more tough to find and I don't need one, I need 2, one for each phone... It's the switch bottom plate...(central office/house system ) like the last photo...It's really rare... most of the apartment phone have been modify with a  blank plate in the past but I'm prefer the original look... If I'm lucky...maybe a other member have a spare plate for me?  :o The other missing part should be more easy to find (the 2 side switch and the bottom switch).... Daniel