News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 182 Starlight phone "dial ring light" replacement

Started by shortrackskater, March 22, 2018, 05:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

Thanks for that information. I think, out of fear, I'll leave it alone for now.
Still I'm curious if anyone has tried modifying an existing non-working ring with the cuttable stuff?
There's a couple old "beater" Starlights on eBay. Maybe I'll get one and attempt this...
Mark J.

AE_Collector

Looking at those EL panels on eBay it is frustrating how little real info is supplied in the otherwise huge listing! Voltage...12 volts! Comes with inverter. The inverter is turning 12vdc to higher voltage AC for use in a car.  I did eventually find a listing that said 50-200 volts AC for the panel but I don't know what that inverter actually put out. And how would 50 VAC compare to 200VAC on the EL panel?

In any event, it would apear that the material could be cut into a circle but you need to maintain the connector on the edge and find a way to bend it under the dial. Maybe a long skinny ribbon could be made (cut) running from the connector to a 3" Circle. Then toss the inverter into the spare parts box and hook the current limited 120VAC from the Starlite to the panel. Not sure about thickness though.....

Terry