"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newer 500 phones

Started by phoneguy06, September 06, 2008, 05:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Quote from: phoneguy06 on September 10, 2008, 08:59:21 AM
I find it interesting that 40 years after the introduction of the 500, it was still possible to buy one that was hardwired, even if the handset cord is the newer "flat-profile" type as opposed to the older, thicker type.

Am I seeing things, or is the line cord of the gray modular type?  It appears to be hardwired, but it sure looks like the modular style of cord. Very interesting!

phoneguy06

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 10, 2008, 09:08:19 AM
Am I seeing things, or is the line cord of the gray modular type?  It appears to be hardwired, but it sure looks like the modular style of cord. Very interesting!

You bet it's a grey modular cord, albeit with spades on the other end which plug into the network, as you can see in one of my photos. By 1989, Cortelco was manufacturing modular and non-modular phones (with the exception of the modular plug on the line cord of course). Previous to that, they had manufactured full-modular, half-modular and quarter modular phones. Quarter modular I assume would have been the name given to my black phone previous to 1989. All of this info and how to interpret ITT-Cortelco baseplate codes can be found in "1989 Standard Telephones" which is included on the Kellog page at telephonearchive.com

The other interesting thing is that the handset on the black phone is actually a G15 (modular). By this time, ITT was using G15s for all phones, hardwired or not.