News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help! My 202 wiring differs from diagram, need guidance

Started by OldPhoneUser, March 29, 2018, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPhoneUser

Today I received the 4 conductor cloth cord and proper strain reliefs and spades, and started to wire it inside the phone when I realized that my phone differs from the diagram and has some jumpers inside which I think were in there to make it direct plug in with no subset, thats how I got it.

So now setting up the 302 base as subset and found the wonderful color diagrams on here but halfway through connecting things, realized its different.

If anyone can point me in the direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You!

I will attach my 202, and the 2 diagrams I am working with:

OldPhoneUser

Might have it figured out.  The right hook switch does nothing (was it there for manual usage?).  The rotary dial looks different but seems to have same hookups BB Y BK R W

I will try just matching those to the diagram. The other end (subset) should be easier.

OldPhoneUser

UPDATE:  I did as above, went by diagram and it worked!  Dials out, and rings in.

So long as I have this thread started which i hope helps someone else, can someone tell me what is the rotary dial mechanism in this phone? It doesnt exactly match other 202's I found pictures of when looking for wiring examples. Are there newer/older/better/worse rotary dialer "versions"?

Thanks, and couldnt set up these old phones without this site.  :)

poplar1

That is a 6A dial, introduced in 1951. Electrically equivalent to the 5H dial (1936-1952) and the 4H (1930-1938).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

OldPhoneUser

Thanks poplar!

I couldnt add the picture of what I did now I will try again, in case someone may benefit.  Just called the phone and subset several times, sounds great but i have to stop for the night before the wife wakes up...  not to mention getting up for work at 4:45AM.    :'(