News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Paystation LPB-82-55

Started by Sargeguy, June 06, 2016, 11:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just received this AE Paystation from a friend in order to assess it and find out if it is worth fixing up for her.  I do not know much about paystations, especially AE paystations.  It came with an extra vault door and matching key.  The hook is sheared off and the dial is very slow.  I do not have the key for the upper housing lock.  There is a crappy looking modular cord coming out of the back side.  What can you guys tell me about it?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

trainman

There is a nos hook on ebay. Just search for automatic electric payphone or 3 slot payphone. It will show up. Cant remember seller, but located in Homer Glen Il. Upper housing lock takes 29s key, if original lock. Keys on ebay.

Both keys and hook also available from the usual old phone vendors like old phone shop or old phone works.

trainman

The extra valt door and key are golden, especially if its AE. AE 10L vault locks are darn near impossible to find, let alone one with a key.

Sargeguy

Thanks, so any 29-S key should do the trick?  I need an upper housing lock for my WE 266, maybe I should buy the lock and use the key on both.  Selling the vault and lock could put a dent in the cost of the other parts. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

trainman

All Automatic Electrics used 29S upper lock if its an AE lock.

Western Electric 10G

Norther Electric 21b.

For the upper housing only, if original locks.

trainman

Im looking for an original AE chrome vault door and lock. Im interested if your selling.

trainman

But need to see if it indeed has a 10L vault lock and it has not been rekeyed. If the numbers match, its original.  Also, because 10l locks are hard to get, i noticed old phone works has adapted a 29s key on vault door. Check your vault doors to see if you have a 10l lock, or an adapted 29s. Might be lucky and have a 29s key and not know it.

Sargeguy

Both locks are 10L and have keys with matching SN#s.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I guess I will need to buy her a key in order to proceed.  I am a little wary about the crappy cord and modular plug, it seems like a good indicator of a bad restoration job.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

trainman

AE vault door, 10l lock and key, thats golden because original, unopened 10l locks with correct key are hard to find.  Most get rekeyed to match whatever key, or simply turned into dummy locks. 

trainman

29s locks are plentiful. And the added benifit is the key wont break. Both the WE and NE upper lock keys have a deep cut at the end, and the reproduction keys are soft and can snap off. Happened to me.

The 29s is a better choice if your not looking to be a purist and try to find a WE 10 series lock.

DavePEI

I am uploading a copy of the AE LPB 82-55 manual to my server from Stan S. It is 27.5 mb in size. It will be there in a few minutes at:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/lpb82-55.pdf

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Cool, this will be a big help if I ever get it open.  The phone's owner is a little ambivalent about what she wants to do with it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409