News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE SUBSET confusion

Started by shortrackskater, June 02, 2018, 06:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I know that some are anti-side tone and some are not but is there a post or diagram here that shows each type of subset?
My WE233G  payphone will eventually get a 685 subset, but is there any other type that will work?
I've searched here but see only a few posts on this.
Bottom line... is there a list of WE subsets that show the subset model and then the phone they work for?
Ultimately it would be great to see a list/chart of AE, NE, and WE subsets and phone compatibility.
Can someone create one for us novices?  ;D
Mark J.

Butch Harlow

I dont know of a subset list, per se. However, the 685 is THE subset for the 233G. It is based on the WE 500 series phones. It has a 425 network and the same bells used in those phones made from the early 50's into the '80s. There is no sidetone/anti-sidetone issue there, it's way past that technologically. Other subsets that will work, but are not technically correct era wise are the 684 and 634 subsets. Both have a 101 induction coil like found in the 300 series phones. The 684 is close to a 302 as far as components, but a 634 is an upgraded 584 sidetone subset.
In the B1 (102) western electric deskset, it had a three wire subset cord and was wired for sidetone with an E1 handset. Later the D1 (202) was equipped with the F1 handset and wired with a 4 wire subset cord and I think one jumper in the set to achieve antisidetone. The B1 can be rewired antisidetone as well. When the 302 came about in 1937, everything was incorporated into the phone and antisidetone became standard. I am sure some of the experts here can elaborate more on this, but as far as WE goes those are the three subsets that I would think would work with your 233G. However, the 685 is absolutely correct.
You'll have to wait for the AE folks to chime in on the Automatic Electric stuff.
Butch Harlow

paul-f

Quote from: shortrackskater on June 02, 2018, 06:32:28 PM
Ultimately it would be great to see a list/chart of AE, NE, and WE subsets and phone compatibility.
Can someone create one for us novices?  ;D

Non-novices would like to see such a list, too.  ;)

There are more subsets than you can shake a stick at. For Western Electric alone, check out lists of BSPs for subsets in the relevant index documents, such as C12.001 and 502-000-000. There are copies of several issues in the TCI Library.

A general search in the Library for "subset" produces references for some subsets and wiring diagrams for combinations of sets and subsets for WE and some non-WE sets.

The good news is that there's lots of reference info out there.  Happy reading.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Local Battery (L.B.) Subsets contain a hand generator and can be either Sidetone or Anti-sidetone.

Typical Sidetone: 315A, 315H, 300K
Typical Anti-sidetone: 415H, 400K

-------------------------------------------------------------

W.E. Common Battery (C.B.) Subsets are of 3 types:

Sidetone, Anti-sidetone, and Network Types.

Typical W.E. Common Battery Subsets:

Sidetone: 295A, 334A, 534A, 584A

Anti-sidetone:
Newly manufactured: 684A
Conversions: 434A, 495BP, 634A, 634BA, 684BA

Network:
685A

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Quote from: paul-f on June 02, 2018, 10:07:35 PM
Non-novices would like to see such a list, too.  ;)

I would like a copy of that list too!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"