News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 picture of dial wiring

Started by happy hooligan, December 26, 2008, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happy hooligan

My 202 D1 set has no wires on the actual screws of the dial.  I'd like to set it up so I can dial it.

Anyone have a picture of the dial wiring?  I can plug it to the wall and get dial tone, but can't dial.

My dial is not clearly marked but looks like SP-1?  and 1880480-L on it?

any help?
check out Blog  www.poohbang.com Vintage Gear For Guys

bingster

Here's the diagram you need.  Depending on what type dial you have, the terminals may be in different places on the dial, but the terminals will have the same markings wherever they are. 

You didn't mention if you have a subset, so I'll give the standard 202 warning:  If your 202 has an E1 handset, you'll need a subset between the phone and the wall jack.  Connecting the telephone directly to the wall jack will allow too much current to flow through the receiver, demagnetizing it, and will eventually weaken it to a point at which nothing can be heard through the receiver.
= DARRIN =

happy hooligan

Thank you for the tip and diagram...

Which ringer box should I get with this phone so it works perfectly?

Here's two photos one of the phone and one of the dial...

check out Blog  www.poohbang.com Vintage Gear For Guys

bingster

Ohhhh... the diagram I posted isn't going to help you, because the dial on your phone is from another manufacturer.  It's an Automatic Electric dial on a Western Electric telephone.  I don't know anything about AE dials, so maybe somebody else can help with how one would be wired into a WE telephone.

The subsets that are best for this phone are numbers 634 and 684.  You can also use 534, 584, and 685, although using a 685 requires a number of wiring modifications.  Always remember that the ringer is the least important part of a subset.  It's the induction coil that's the really important thing.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Now, that dial may have been installed by someone else for selling or operating purposes. But, I've read articles in the past that lay claim to this being done by small independents. The AE dials were cheaper compared to W.E. dials, so the independent TELCOs saved money in service. I've heard some of those small ma/pa operations could really throw together a frankenphone of many different parts. But hey, if it worked, it worked :)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
I'm sure those Mom/Pop outfits didn't loose too much sleep worrying about some collector 70 years into the future.
I would bet that fully 90% or more of the original users, never noticed or even cared about how the dial looked.
Like you said, all they wanted was a working phone at the cheapest cost to them.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dsk

May this diagram be the right one? It is from the bottom of a D1 with AE dial.
dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on July 21, 2016, 04:06:57 PM
May this diagram be the right one? It is from the bottom of a D1 with AE dial.
dsk

The diagram depicts a circuit that uses a D5 handset mounting.  A D5 has additional terminals and springs in the hook switch.  It was ordinarily used for the 206-type telephone for local-battery-talking common-battery-signaling operation.

The circuit however, appears to use it for 202-type wiring with an AE dial that has a WECo-compatible contact arrangement.  It is not a Western Electric circuit.   The dial in this topic is not compatible with this wiring, nor with standard WECo wiring, as it is a standard AE dial.

mentalstampede

I hooked up a 202 awhile back using a 685 subset and a WE 6T dial that used AE style dial contacts(shorting across the transmitter instead of opening the circuit to mute the dial pulses). If you can figure out which terminals are what on the dial, the diagram I altered to figure out what I was doing might help.

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread is! I don't know if this person will be back after 8 years to check for replies!
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

unbeldi

Quote from: mentalstampede on July 21, 2016, 08:48:28 PM
I hooked up a 202 awhile back using a 685 subset and a WE 6T dial that used AE style dial contacts(shorting across the transmitter instead of opening the circuit to mute the dial pulses). If you can figure out which terminals are what on the dial, the diagram I altered to figure out what I was doing might help.

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread is! I don't know if this person will be back after 8 years to check for replies!

Indeed, the 6T and 6U dials were made for Design Line telephones which used network-type circuitry like the 500-series.  The 6T and 6U dials therefor had normally open shunt switches, two of them with four leads, rather then the old break-and-make transfer switch of the 6A-like dials with only three leads.