"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bells/ringers

Started by tonequester, June 26, 2012, 11:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonequester

tonequester here.

I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. Does anybody out there happen to know what the alloy is
that was used to make the bell/ringer in the 1950's Bakelite cased phones. i am assuming that it is some type of brass.
Whatever it is, it has a good "ping" to it. I have made a great guitar pick from one of these. I'm just mainly curios about this. I appreciate any comments on this post.     Thanks very much.                            tonequester.

liteamorn

Quote from: tonequester on June 26, 2012, 11:32:08 PM
tonequester here.

I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. Does anybody out there happen to know what the alloy is
that was used to make the bell/ringer in the 1950's Bakelite cased phones. i am assuming that it is some type of brass.
Whatever it is, it has a good "ping" to it. I have made a great guitar pick from one of these. I'm just mainly curios about this. I appreciate any comments on this post.     Thanks very much.                            tonequester.
THIS IS BLASPHEME! Classic phones are not to be used for other devious devices! (Actually I think they are brass but I could be wrong :) )

DavePEI

Quote from: liteamorn on June 27, 2012, 11:26:55 AM
Quote from: tonequester on June 26, 2012, 11:32:08 PM
tonequester here.

Whatever it is, it has a good "ping" to it. I have made a great guitar pick from one of these. I'm just mainly curios about this. I appreciate any comments on this post.     Thanks very much.                            tonequester.
THIS IS BLASPHEME! Classic phones are not to be used for other devious devices! (Actually I think they are brass but I could be wrong :) )

I hope it was for a good guitar - at least a Fender or a Gibson. Then you can be forgiven  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tonequester

tonequester here.

Pleased to make your aquaintance, liteamorn and Dave PEI ! I didn't mean to be blasphemous. I should have explained that the phone in question was smashed beyond any hope of recovery when I was given it. The bell/ringer
was the only thing salvageable besides a few nice but short, fine guage wires with brass connectors. I assure no other phone in my possesion will be used for such a thing. I'm a major salvager of anything electric/electronic. I don't know why I clanged that bell, but it sounded so surprisingly toneful, and had such good sustain, that I decided I had to do something useful with it. As I play guitar, and mostly flat-pick, I decidd to make my own "brass" pick. I have wanted to try one for quite some time, but so far all I've found are around $10.00 plus shipping. I refuse to pay that much for a pick.
They give them away at my local music store in every plastic imaginable, but no metal, except finger picks. I hope you will
forgive my "slip". I promise to give all classic phone queries the proper degree of respect in all future posts.
Sincerely, tonequester.            Have a great day !

liteamorn

Quote from: tonequester on June 27, 2012, 01:15:13 PM
tonequester here.

Pleased to make your aquaintance, liteamorn and Dave PEI ! I didn't mean to be blasphemous. I should have explained that the phone in question was smashed beyond any hope of recovery when I was given it. The bell/ringer
was the only thing salvageable besides a few nice but short, fine guage wires with brass connectors. I assure no other phone in my possesion will be used for such a thing. I'm a major salvager of anything electric/electronic. I don't know why I clanged that bell, but it sounded so surprisingly toneful, and had such good sustain, that I decided I had to do something useful with it. As I play guitar, and mostly flat-pick, I decidd to make my own "brass" pick. I have wanted to try one for quite some time, but so far all I've found are around $10.00 plus shipping. I refuse to pay that much for a pick.
They give them away at my local music store in every plastic imaginable, but no metal, except finger picks. I hope you will
forgive my "slip". I promise to give all classic phone queries the proper degree of respect in all future posts.
Sincerely, tonequester.            Have a great day !

Hi Tonequester, my blaspheme comment was made entirely in jest (I think you are aware but I thought I would clear the air just in case) So let us know how the pick works out!

Greg G.

How exactly did you turn a phone gong into a pick?  Did you melt it down, or cut it somehow?  Even a smashed phone can still be used as a subset. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

tonequester

tonequester here.

The infamous pick is being used on several quality guitars, and I esteem American ! I didn't heat it a bit to keep the tone. I worked it with 3lb. sledge and anvil. Rough cut it out, and carefully groung into shape, cooling
it every few seconds. Pardon me for being the neophyte here, but I WILL learn, and I promise that my "Phone Pick" days are at an end. I have several phones that I hope to refurbish, and will no doubt have to call on my new found friends for advice.            tonequester.

AE_Collector

There should be LOTS of spare gongs available out there. I have quite a few AE frequency ringers that are of little use to anyone and they each have two gongs on them. Each manufacturer likely used different alloys and combinations of alloys betwen the toe gongs on each ringer. Each produced a unique sound.

Good Recycling tonequester!!

Terry

K1WI

I like the "tone" of this discussion.
         Another use of orphaned bells..............

sort of "blowing in the wind"
Andy F    K1WI

twocvbloke

Hmm, that telephone bell windchime looks like an interesting idea, certainly would be a more unique sound compared to the usual tubular-chimes... :D