News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson handset restoration.

Started by Greg G., October 24, 2015, 02:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Moved this over here from another thread.  It's just basic cleaning.  The handset cups on this SC handset were pretty bad, but salvageable.  The receiver cap was stuck hard, wouldn't come off using the hairdryer method alone.  I was afraid at first that it might have been cross-threaded because the gap on one side of the cup was larger than the other side.  I squirted some Liquid Wrench in the cap crevice, left it overnight then used a hairdryer on it, finally budged.  Good news is it wasn't cross-threaded.  Transmitter cup wasn't much better, but at least the cap came off w/o any problems.  The receiver element was toast, went right in the garbage.

I removed the hardware from the cups and cleaned them separately, but with the same method, the all got a good soak in CLR.  I didn't immerse the entire handset, just one cup at a time by propping up the handset on end.  Only reason I did that was because I didn't have much CLR left and was too lazy to run down to the hardware store for more.

What's left is it will need some more-detailed cleaning and light sanding to prep it for painting.  That won't occur anytime soon mostly because I don't have anywhere to use paint at room temp. 

I'm in need of a receiver element and handset cord appropriate for this handset.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

andre_janew

A handset cord for a WE 302 will work in an SC handset.  It might not be correct, but it will work.  Also, the receiver element looks similar to the one in a WE F-1 handset.  It might not work, but it would be worth trying.

Greg G.

Quote from: andre_janew on October 25, 2015, 01:04:06 PM
A handset cord for a WE 302 will work in an SC handset.  It might not be correct, but it will work.  Also, the receiver element looks similar to the one in a WE F-1 handset.  It might not work, but it would be worth trying.

Whatever works.  I tried an HA1, the diameter is right, but it's too thick, the cap won't go on.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

What other receiver elements would work with this?  I've got a feeling finding a working SC receiver element is going to be hard w/o robbing a perfectly good complete handset.
- Mike Row
e