News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

EARLY PENNY COIN OPERATED OAK CRANK PAY TELEPHONE N/R! eBay 330596215589

Started by Doug Rose, August 09, 2011, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Any body have one of these early Penny Operated Crank Pay Phones?? Here's your chance. As PT Barnum said.........Doug
http://tinyurl.com/437rvbq
Kidphone

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Russ Kirk

I am far from an expert at these but here is my take.

It does not look right.

Where would it be mounted? On the back side down on a table? Or on a wall?

Either way,  where would the pennies fall and not be in the way of the bell coils?

Looking at other old wooden pay sets (such as a  silver dollar set or the older coin adjuncts) where the coin would be deposited - away from the internal wiring/parts - in a tray or drawer.

I think this may be a modification of some sort.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Adam

I agree.  This looks to me like a Western Electric bell box which was gutted and repurposed, probably for an application which wasn't even telephone related at all...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

This came up on e-Bay a few months ago.  It is not telephone related at all, except that the coin mechanism is probably mounted in what used to be a ringer box.

-Bill G

NorthernMan

When i see the coin mechanism i think of pinball machines . Are you sure that there aren't any big ball bearings rolling around in the box. ;D Maybe they jumped out of the ringer holes.  ???

Dennis Markham

Reminds me of a coin operated washing machine at the laundro-mat. :)

Doug Rose

I posted this rather tongue in cheek. I do not think it is real. I think someone added a coin mechanism to a gutted ringer box. PT Barnum's quote was "There is a sucker born every day." For someone to pay $50 for this, the quote rings true...even though the ringer doesn't work!!.....Doug
Kidphone

jiggerman

I vaguely remember something like this when I was a kid ( in the 50's ). A friend of mine had a very similar one and it was used as a bank.  Jiggerman