News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 22 - Western Electric "A1" Desk Telephone

Started by bingster, February 01, 2009, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

We've got one of the rarest, and most sought after desk telephones for our contest this week.  The "A-mount" Western Electric desk telephone immediately preceded the "B-mount," but was given the "A" designation by collectors.  Constructed from a modified desk stand base, this was the Bell System's first handset mounting.

What do we think this rare bird will bring, gang?  Get your guesses in before the auction's final day.  Once again, the reserve makes no difference--we're guessing the highest bid amount.

S C O R E B O A R D
$925 - bingster
$987 - Konrad
$1075.79 - DanĀ²
$1121 - Dennis Markham
$1200 - benhutcherson
$1250 - Steve
$1300 - sargeguy
$1400 - BDM
$1489.01 - winkydink
$1500 - HobieSport
$1550 - mienaichizu
$1600 - JimH
$1700 - Mark Stevens
Sold for $1,725.00
$2000 - Dan/Panther
$2195 - Bill Cahill
$2401.97 - McHeath
= DARRIN =

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

benhutcherson

Given how perfect it looks, I strongly suspect that it's had some restoration and repainting work.

If I were in the market for one of these, as a collector, I'd very, very strongly prefer an all original "warts and all" copy. If I were going to restore it, I'd prefer to do it myself or at least have it done to my specifications.

I don't think I'm alone in this respect, so I suspect this may hold the price down some. Soccer moms looking for a fun old phone when they can a similar looking D1 mount for a lot less.

So, with all my rambling, I'm going to guess $1200 (made bold to help my contest entry stand out from all the other drivel in my post).

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

winkydink

Well, one without a dial went upto $950 this past week),  sooooo my guess will be....

$1489.01

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JimH

Wow that is one of the nicest original ones I've ever seen.

Put me down for $1600
Jim H.

McHeath

Im clueless on phones this old.  So I'm guessing high at $2401.97.  It's very nice, and shiny, but what do I know?

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on February 04, 2009, 10:15:25 PM
Im clueless on phones this old.  So I'm guessing high at $2401.97.  It's very nice, and shiny, but what do I know?

Listen to you trying to be modest....
If you win I'm gonna send Dennis to your house to beat you up!  :D