News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Visit with Paul Fassbender

Started by Doug Rose, August 08, 2015, 03:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet and I went to see Paul F's wonderful collections of telephones. Simply breathtaking. Paul and Chris were great hosts, but the phones were the main event. Paul is downsizing, so any one in need of good phones at realistic prices, this is the place to go.

I finally found my Mahogany Brown #1 Uni phone with the NF handset. It was #1 on my most wanted!! And a wonderful SC 1211 wall phone. Both in amazing condition. Cleanup is tomorrow, its time for a brew!

Thanks Paul.....Jan and I loved it!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Glad you got to see the Legendary Paul F's collection!

I may be in the market for a nice 10 button or 12 button set from his incredible collection! Paul should create a CRPF Classifieds posting if he's downsizing at all.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

Thanks for coming, Doug.  It's always a pleasure to see you and Janet.  We live close enough that we should do it more often.

Christian, we should have a phone conversation regarding 10- and 12-button sets.  I have examples of both in desk sets, Princess and Trimline.

In fact, I recently sorted several boxes of 2500Ds (hardwired).  They don't seem to be too common, as they were only made for a few years and many housings were notched for modular cords.

I've also found quite a few early 1950s 500Ds - some with matching dates.  There are 500C and 500T sets, too.

Perhaps my past posts were too subtle or not frequent enough.  Last year I put up a "For Sale" page on my site and have updated it periodically.
   http://www.paul-f.com/ForSale.html

I invite anyone within driving distance to make an appointment and stop by to look things over.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

compubit

Paul -

What part of the country are you in?  It would help those of us who might wish to schedule a visit.

Thanks,
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

paul-f

I'm northwest of Boston, MA.

All are welcome to PM or email questions or to set up a phone call or get directions.

Doug Rose

Here is the Prize of my visit to Paul's, a Burled Walnut #1 uni phone. It was black with only tiny spots of Brown showing through, I thought it was a Mahogany Brown....low and behold a Burled walnut, brown with mottled black throughout.

I used citrus stripper carefully with fine steel wool, followed by Norvus 2. I am amazed at the finished product. I added a nickel sani dial finger wheel and a wonderful NOS Coiled handset cord I purchased from Jon Kolger a few months back.

These are really hard to photograph, but in person it is an easy to see great color combo. Pics don't show it, but the headset and the body are a perfect match.

#1 on my most wanted list has been crossed out! ...Thanks Paul...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Looks great, Doug!

It should be good company for your wonderful brown wall set with NF handset.

Dan/Panther

Paul;
I sure hope you aren't downsizing for any medical reason. Exactly how do you decide which sets you no longer want, or are you just moving out duplicates ?
You wouldn't happen to have a 1950 dated WE500. That is the only year I have yet to obtain through 1959.
Originally I started out with just a year date, then I started replacing year date, with October, and year date, to match my birth month. This sickness is never satisfied.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Thanks for the concern, Dan.

There is a medical component to the decision, although there are many other more important factors.  Rather than get into them here, I started another topic:
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14767.0

As Doug saw, I'm part way through the process of sorting the phones by make and model.  That's currently my top priority.

I have done a preliminary sort on the 500s, but there are so many that it will take a few passes to get details. I plan to sort the early 1950s sets by year and base marking.  I used some of the sets when compiling data for my site.  It would be nice to have the time to take them all apart and inventory the components, but that's not likely to happen. I'll post ideas and details on the other topic.

That said, I did set aside a 500 dated 12/50.  I hope there are more 1950 sets to be found!  I'll check the internal components and PM or email details.

Dan/Panther

I made a correction to a slight spelling error on the Subject line of posts in this thread.
Paul's Name is Fassbender,  I corrected the typing error on the subject lines. Please check to make sure it's correct if you post.
Thanks;
D/P

paul-f

Dan/Panther

Glad I was able to correct it.
D/P

Doug Rose

I cleaned up the SC 1211 last night after work. My hands are in tough shape but the phone just shines! I got two beauties for my collection.

What is the difference between the Kellogg version and the SC1211....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: paul-f on August 10, 2015, 03:50:44 PM

That said, I did set aside a 500 dated 12/50.  I hope there are more 1950 sets to be found!  I'll check the internal components and PM or email details.
Wow, not many collectors here can honestly say they found a 1950 500 in their own phone storage! I still have to wait for the day I can find an early '51... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Here is the SC1211. I waited a loooong time to get these two beauties. Imagine getting both at the same time. I took off the lousy SC dial and added a great AE brass dial. Both bakelite phones with NO chips cracks or missing pieces. Both phones are in working condition. ...Wow!...thanks again Paul....Doug
Kidphone