News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please ID and give me advice.

Started by cloyd, December 13, 2015, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

I think a side tone candlestick with solid back transmitter will always sound "tinny" - it is a part of their charm.

Converting a 50 or 51AL to AST is a kludge but some side tone AE 21s can be converted by using the WE AST circuit and subset if they have the right spring set. The trouble is that AE candlesticks don't identify themselves - you don't know which one it is until you open it.

You need to buy from someone who knows what they are selling - for example at one of your telephone shows or someone on this list.

I suggest a WE 151 with "bulldog" transmitter and 706A receiver and AST subset or the equivalent AE candlestick and subset.

I am in Australia but I'm sure someone there can help you with either of those. As you have discovered, the AE will be cheaper - I would look for one that is clean and "as removed" rather than one that has been refurbished to within an inch of its life. But that's just me.

Good luck

Jack

poplar1

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 02, 2016, 11:57:29 AM
A Western Electric anti-sidetone subset would be a 634A (534A with a condenser added) or a 684A. Don't be scared off from a 634A because of the big black X they marked over the 534A instructions inside the lid. They did this when they performed the conversion. There are various flavors of 684-series subsets including those which use the ringer from a 302. I personally us a 302 or 5302 base and plastic topper (bless you, Ray). Makes for a great display (with feet!) and you get volume control if you use a 5302 base. I also build bases (with feet) for 534A/634A subsets.

A 151AL with a 635A transmitter and a 706A receiver and an anti-sidetone subset is essentially a 302 in candlestick format.

I'll let someone else jump in on the 51AL to 151AL conversion.

Just to clarify, the 534A with a second condenser added is a 554C, used for example with a 51-C desk stand. While anti-sidetone subsets do require separate condensers for the talk circuit and the ringing circuit, they also have induction coils with 3 windings rather than the 2 found in sidetone induction coils.

Converting a 51-AL to a 151-AL would require 4 contact springs for the hookswitch rather than 3,  changing the 3-wire harness to 5-wire, adding an additional terminal block (B-Y, RR) in the base, and changing the cord to the subset from 3-conductor to 4-conductor.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on January 02, 2016, 11:08:47 PM
Converting a 51-AL to a 151-AL would require 4 contact springs for the hookswitch rather than 3,  changing the 3-wire harness to 5-wire, adding an additional terminal block (B-Y, RR) in the base, and changing the cord to the subset from 3-conductor to 4-conductor.

Just clarifying my previous comment: As you say, that converts a 50 or a 51AL to a 151AL and is not a kludge. There are other conversions that are a kludge that I would not recommend.

Jack

zaphod01

I know this is nit-picky but converting a 51AL to a 151AL doesn't give you the 1 stamped in front of 51AL on the perch. I advise waiting for a 151AL to come up at auction. I really couldn't hear a difference between my 120AL and any other 20AL.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Jack Ryan

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 03, 2016, 06:52:36 AM
I know this is nit-picky but converting a 51AL to a 151AL doesn't give you the 1 stamped in front of 51AL on the perch.

I meant it was technically correct as worked as a 151AL would.

I really couldn't hear a difference between my 120AL and any other 20AL.

You should notice a difference using a "bulldog" transmitter and 706A receiver - from both ends of the conversation. The difference between AST and ST depends on the context.

Jack

cloyd

Just to be clear, "brassed out" means... the paint was stripped to expose the brass? or something else?

Thanks,

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Jack Ryan

Quote from: cloyd on January 03, 2016, 11:13:52 PM
Just to be clear, "brassed out" means... the paint was stripped to expose the brass.

Correct.

Jack

poplar1

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 03, 2016, 06:52:36 AM
I know this is nit-picky but converting a 51AL to a 151AL doesn't give you the 1 stamped in front of 51AL on the perch. I advise waiting for a 151AL to come up at auction. I really couldn't hear a difference between my 120AL and any other 20AL.

If you are using the 120 AL with a sidetone subset, I.e  taping and storing the black lead, then it should sound the same as a 20 AL connected to a 534A/584A/295A.....however, a 120 AL connected to an AST subset should have noticeably less side tone (room noise, hearing yourself in the receiver).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.