"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can you put my mind at ease?

Started by Buzby, January 15, 2016, 03:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzby

Hi there,

I bought this candlestick on ebay for $50 as a project, and because my wife said she though it was pretty. (Little does she know it will be turning black)

I couldn't discern much from the photos in the listing, apart from it had an AT&T plate marked 323 and I could see that there was a 337 transmitter.

Now I've got it in my hands and been able to dismantle most of it. The base seems to be legit, with the felt held in place by a metal ring. The felt itself feels vintage enough, with a touch of 'mothing'. Inside it is stamped "Tel Co Property". The patent dates look okay too, although I'm not an expert. Contacts for the switch hook are there in the stem, although the stem's brass seems to be of a different tone than the base.

The AT&T plate looks as though it has been riveted on, although I can't get the thing dismantled at the moment to check.

The perch however, has me worried. Although it says 151AL, it seems to be off centre and the '1' at the beginning is thicker and deeper than the other digits, which are not perfectly aligned.

Have I bought the carcass of a frankenphone and/or reproduction?

Any info greatly appreciated.

unbeldi

Quote from: Buzby on January 15, 2016, 03:56:30 PM
Hi there,

I bought this candlestick on ebay for $50 as a project, and because my wife said she though it was pretty. (Little does she know it will be turning black)

I couldn't discern much from the photos in the listing, apart from it had an AT&T plate marked 323 and I could see that there was a 337 transmitter.

Now I've got it in my hands and been able to dismantle most of it. The base seems to be legit, with the felt held in place by a metal ring. The felt itself feels vintage enough, with a touch of 'mothing'. Inside it is stamped "Tel Co Property". The patent dates look okay too, although I'm not an expert. Contacts for the switch hook are there in the stem, although the stem's brass seems to be of a different tone than the base.

The AT&T plate looks as though it has been riveted on, although I can't get the thing dismantled at the moment to check.

The perch however, has me worried. Although it says 151AL, it seems to be off centre and the '1' at the beginning is thicker and deeper than the other digits, which are not perfectly aligned.

Have I bought the carcass of a frankenphone and/or reproduction?

Any info greatly appreciated.

151AL desk stands were never made in the factory.  They started their life as 51AL types, and had the extra '1' was punched into the metal when the set was refurbished and upgraded for use with an anti-sidetone subscriber set, or they were for another service type, 50/51C, 50/51AB, etc., which were completely relabeled.
Conversion started from ca. 1931 on, but very few anti-sidetone sets were installed during the worst years of the depression 32-33.

During refurbishing, many or most 323 transmitters were updated as type 337 by this time.  These have a higher efficiency, and were originally intended for use on long loops. Your vermillion red date and type stamp in the center of the transmitter is typical for that period.

Buzby

Thanks, Unbeldi. That's great information.  :)

I'm feeling a little relief that it's probably not repro.

Sargeguy

It's not a repro.  It is missing a few parts though, and it looks as if the transmitter plate was over-polished.  This looks to me like a conversion that took place in the 30s-era.  Not bad for $50.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Buzby

Cheers, Greg. Feeling better about the purchase.

It is missing quite a few parts. It's basically completely bare inside. Finding the base terminal blocks is going to be a tough job.

337 transmitter is dated 11/30 with another stamp of 34. I'm guessing it was 1934 when it was converted?