News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg- Carlson candlestick telephone

Started by Nik, February 02, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik

Hi all, I'm sorry about my english, but i'm italian and i don't speak it so good :( However i need help about two old telephone that i find in my house.
Can u help me about their Value and other particularity.
Thank u all!
I have other photo...

rdelius

The first set might be an Automatic Electric Type 21 set from the 1920s.Somewhat common but still good. The second appears to be a Stromberg Carlson tapered shaft/"Oilcan" from about 1898 or so with a non factory dial base added.This set could be possibly be a $1000+- set if in good shape not modified..Hopefully the modifications can be removed if wanted with out damage

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on February 02, 2016, 02:15:11 PM
The first set might be an Automatic Electric Type 21 set from the 1920s.Somewhat common but still good. The second appears to be a Stromberg Carlson tapered shaft/"Oilcan" from about 1898 or so with a non factory dial base added.This set could be possibly be a $1000+- set if in good shape not modified..Hopefully the modifications can be removed if wanted with out damage

That is a very nice dial base. I would call it a dial conversion set. I think this set was in service with dial.I think this set is worth more as it sits .
Just my opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Mr. Bones

Benvenuti a bordo, Nik!

VERY NICE telephones, paisano! 8) 8)

I'll let the more knowledgeable members tell you more about them; I'm mostly just here as a Goodwill Ambassador, and Comic Relief. ;)

Your english is fine on this end, so no worries...

Sorry if my Italian is rusty, but I was stationed in Sicily, thirty years ago, almost to the month. For some time.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

Hi Nik! Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of knowledgeable people here who will probably give you more info than you will ever need! Very nice phones and valuable also. I am not the expert on those but I know you should not change anything until you are absolutely sure about what you have!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nik

Thank you all for the answers

Quote from: Jim S. on February 02, 2016, 03:17:04 PM
Quote from: rdelius on February 02, 2016, 02:15:11 PM

That is a very nice dial base. I would call it a dial conversion set. I think this set was in service with dial.I think this set is worth more as it sits .
Just my opinion,
Jim S.

If is necessary i have other photo in different angles...

It could be the progress of this set? I mean Like iPhone and iPhone 6s? 😁😂

Jim Stettler

It could be the progress of the company .  It could also be a war shortage set. They did a lot of interesting things to create telephone sets from old inventory.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jack Ryan

Who knows what might have happened in the hundreds of refurbishment centres when needs must.

However, my thought is that the dial SC is the creation of a collector. I've seen lots of dial upgrades of desk stands and they have all had the dial attached to the base cover or the shaft by a metal bracket. I believe this would have been a cheaper option both in materials and installation. Pretty didn't come in to it.

It is unlikely to be a conversion from the "wood period" as the dial is too new.

Jack