Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Now i feel like new  ;D

Ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/67f7tbm
( dead link - 10-10-21 )

dsk

deedubya3800

Well, it led me to read the article about the ship it is reported to have come from. They used Cortelco phones on board? I'd be interested to know the manufacture date of this telephone.

migette

Sounds like a wind up, is it gold plated   or gold. note they don't ship to UK, wonder why!!!!!!!    Made my day   Peter

Willytx

Was Cortelco making phones in 1979-1980?

Would an American made phone been the choice of a Norwegian company or the refitters in Bremerhaven, Germany.

Right. And I have the phone General Santa Anna used to call in his surrender to Sam Houston in 1836.

Adam

Also, the phone has a sticker that instructs users to dial 911 in an emergency.  I find it hard to believe that a PBX on a ship would be programmed to dial 911 for emergency, that's a PSTN thing not normally used on internal systems.

You might say they did it on the PBX so that people used to dialing 911 to get emergency services would know what to dial without thinking about it.  However, 911 is not the emergency number for the entire world, it's different in many countries.  A cruise ship gets passengers from all over the world, not just the US, so it would be stupid to program the phones on the ship to dial 911 for that reason.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

I'm not sure I buy the 911 sticker on the phone either, especially since it appears to be held down with cellophane tape.  But doubting even the presence of 2500s on the Norway, I went looking for photos of the ship's cabins, and found... 2500s.  Interesting.

(photos copped from ssmaritime.com and ssnorway.no)
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

Interesting pictures. American phones with an American emergency number don't sound quite so farfetched when considering that much of its life as the Norway was spent as a Caribbean cruise ship out of Miami. It would have seemed natural for its North American passengers.

Willytx

Given a choice, I think the French Line poster in the photo would be a more fitting souvenir of the ship than an average phone from late in the ships service.

dsk

It was probably natural to adopt  American standards due to the main market was US customers. Push button phones was not made in Norway before 1980.

dsk