"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I woke up this Kellogg 900 with shoe polish

Started by Pourme, April 06, 2018, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

This is one of my favorite designs from the 30's. It in my opinion reflects the culture and designs of the era like no other phone.

However I have two of them and both of them suffer from almost sandpaper like surfaces. There are too many corners and ridges foe me to attempt to go after it with sandpaper.

Today I used my "Parade Gloss" KIWI black shoe polish, buffed then applied a coat of Renaissance Wax, buffed with a cloth. The results, although not perfect, is much improved.

The results is well worth the small effort involved. Sorry no before pictures, just picture a black sandpaper finish.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RB

From what I can see in the pic...nice turnout!

Pourme

~

I posted this to make other collectors aware of this technique, which wasn't my idea, as a alternative to the difficult and sometime nearly impossible sanding option for some black bakelite phones.

Benny
Benny

wds

And you are right - that is one of the most beautiful phones ever made.  I'm surprised more phones weren't made with that art deco style. 
Dave

Pourme

Quote from: wds on April 06, 2018, 12:39:15 PM
And you are right - that is one of the most beautiful phones ever made.  I'm surprised more phones weren't made with that art deco style.

That style reminds me, for some reason, of designs you might would have seen in movie theaters of the day. That phone would have been right in home in a theater!

Benny
Benny

Doug Rose

Beautiful Benny! I second Dave, it is a stunning phone...Doug
Kidphone