"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need I.D. on subset

Started by southernphoneman, August 17, 2013, 06:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on August 23, 2013, 02:31:02 AM
So the old receiver connected to the candlestick phone is working the same ("hum") as the handset without transmitter?

In that case, I would  try connecting the red and black wires from the F1 handset to Y and YY  inside the phone, where the two short wires from the candlestick transmitter are connected. In other words, you are connecting a second transmitter in parallel with the existing one.

just performed this test and it failed,i will try another.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on August 22, 2013, 09:22:13 AM
You can borrow a handset from a 302 to check the subset: Connect white wire to GN, red wire to R, and black wire to L2Y. You should be able to transmit and receive.

Removing the transmitter, you should still have a "monitor" circuit so that you can hear dial tone only if another phone goes off hook. (You have eliminated the DC path through the transmitter but the AC path through the receiver is still connected.)

performed this test and it passed,i picked up dial tone it both receivers,so I think it boils down to a bad transmitter,right,thank you,southernphoneman

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 23, 2013, 11:31:34 AM
So the old receiver connected to the candlestick phone is working the same ("hum") as the handset without transmitter?

In that case, I would  try connecting the red and black wires from the F1 handset to Y and YY  inside the phone, where the two short wires from the candlestick transmitter are connected. In other words, you are connecting a second transmitter in parallel with the existing one.

Are you sure that you have continuity from L2Y in the subset, through the yellow lead of the 3-conductor cord, to the center transmitter contact in the phone; and from R in the subset, through the red lead, then through the hook switch contacts, to the other transmitter contact? The hook switch should have 3 contacts that are separated when on hook and are all shorted together when off hook.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on August 23, 2013, 12:09:27 PM

Are you sure that you have continuity from L2Y in the subset, through the yellow lead of the 3-conductor cord, to the center transmitter contact in the phone; and from R in the subset, through the red lead, then through the hook switch contacts, to the other transmitter contact? The hook switch should have 3 contacts that are separated when on hook and are all shorted together when off hook.
yes, everything has the continuity and incidently I came to realize that my transmitter only has one wire.

southernphoneman

I want to thank new England tel, dsk, and poplar1 for their help on this telephone, and I have ordered a transmitter for itm,southernphoneman

New England Tel.

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 23, 2013, 12:17:14 PM

yes, everything has the continuity and incidently I came to realize that my transmitter only has one wire.

Your transmitter has only one wire going to it? Well, that is the problem!!! Look at the schematic that dsk posted, and you'll see what I mean!

You need to have 2 wires to the transmitter. One connects to the YY terminal on the hookswitch, the other connects to the Y terminal along with the Yellow wire of the mounting cord. Find out which one is missing, get a wire and hook it up, and I'll bet that it works fine.
-Bob Archambault

southernphoneman

Quote from: New England Tel. on August 23, 2013, 06:24:48 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on August 23, 2013, 12:17:14 PM

Your transmitter has only one wire going to it? Well, that is the problem!!! Look at the schematic that dsk posted, and you'll see what I mean!

You need to have 2 wires to the transmitter. One connects to the YY terminal on the hookswitch, the other connects to the Y terminal along with the Yellow wire of the mounting cord. Find out which one is missing, get a wire and hook it up, and I'll bet that it works fine.

oops,i just recently turned 50 and the old eyesight must be going,and I should have seen that from the start and thank you for pointing that out,southernphoneman.

southernphoneman

ok the transmitter is pictured here can some tell me where these wires go?thank you, southernphoneman

New England Tel.

Just to be clear, remove the strap from both screws.

Hope this helps...

-Bob Archambault

southernphoneman

Quote from: New England Tel. on August 23, 2013, 09:00:44 PM
Just to be clear, remove the strap from both screws.

Hope this helps...

thankyou

southernphoneman

My thank yous go to dsk, new england tel, and poplar1, it works you guys are great :) ;)