News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 14A SpaceSaver - My Antique Store Find

Started by Phonesrfun, April 18, 2010, 01:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Yesterday I went antiquing, and drove about 120 miles each way to an antique store in Yakima, WA.

They had several phones there.  Probably 25 or so.  They even had an aluminum phone booth.

They had several 500's and some others, and they even have some very early wooden lineman's test sets.  I guess one of the owners of one of the booths is a retired phone guy.

Here is what I bought.  It is an early AE thing that appears to be their first space saver.  I don't know the model, but it appears from the schematic to be based on their 1A Monophone circuit, which uses an induction coil receiver.  (See Ralph Meyer's Old Time Telephones!)

This has the 205 ohm wire-wound resistor inside and the capacitor.  No inductor, but the diagram shows the receiver with three leads going to it, which would be the proper one for the induction coil receiver.

Mine had the chrome-banded handset from an AE 50 hooked to it when I got it.  That handset was not in very good shape.  I did happen to have the correct cosmetic handset which I have attached at this time.  Unfortunately, this handset does not have the 1A-type induction coil receiver.

I bought this item because it is very unique.  I seem to remember that someone else here on this board may have posted a picture of the same thing a long time ago.  I just don't know what the model is to be able to do a decent search.  So if anyone can help with the model number, I would appreciate it.

The store itself is an antique "mall", where many people get together and rent space, but the actual space owners are rarely there to ask questions of.  Prices there for phones are pretty decent as far as antique stores go.  500's were priced everywhere from $22 to $45.  Woodies were higher.  This was not flea market pricing, but it was also not as astronomical as some antique stores.

I paid $68 for this one, and while that is not cheap, I think It was a good price, especially for the unique-ness of it.  Now you combine that with the 250 mile round trip, and you can see what kind of a nut I am.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Nice phone, Bill.  It is unique.  I really like those handsets.  It looks to be in good condition as well.  Isn't it fun driving around looking for phones?!

Doug Rose

Bill...outstanding find. I have it without the dial, yours with the dial is extremely hard to find. These guys are very brittle as the bakelite is so thin. Nice Pickup!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

It looks like a nice phone at a nice price.
If it has a "D-281634-A" Resistance coil in it, then it is a Type 14-A.
If it has a "D-281901-A" Induction coil, then it is a Type 4-A.
As you can see, you can move the dial to the left side if you wanted to.
Dougpav

Kenny C

i like it i like the space saver design
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Wallphone on April 18, 2010, 01:31:29 PM
It looks like a nice phone at a nice price.
If it has a "D-281634-A" Resistance coil in it, then it is a Type 14-A.
If it has a "D-281901-A" Induction coil, then it is a Type 4-A.
As you can see, you can move the dial to the left side if you wanted to.
Dougpav

Doug:
It has the 205 ohm wire wound resistor.  The schematic does not have a part number referenced for the resistor.  So, I will go on it being a 14-A.

Now I can do some searches.

I did see that the dial is the kind that the turrett can be mounted on the left or the right.  I also see that the dial has several different positioning scew holes so that the angle that it faces can be set to a preference.

To all:

The bakelite body on this is in pretty good condition overall.  Someone tried to paint the wall behind it, probably three times, since there are three colors of wall paint sloshed here and there on one side of the cover and on the back of the dial turrett.  There is white, some kind of a rose, and some kind of a very yucky green.  There is a scratch in the top, but no cracks.  Some slight chipping at the very edde of the cover in the back where it meets the inside frame of the phone.

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

It looks to me like you got quite a deal.  I have seen 500Ms in antiques malls for that price.  The model you bought must be quite rare because I don't think that I have ever seen a picture of one.  I would expect it to be worth a few hundred dollars, especially after cleaning and polishing, but I would be willing to take it off of your hands for $68 ;).

Larry

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Craig T

Nice find on a unique phone Bill, glad you found some gold at the end of the road!

AE_Collector

That is a good catch Bill. As has already been covered it appears to be a 14A rather than a 4A. They are quite hard to find with a dial. Most have two of the triangle shaped chrome plates, one on each side and no dial assembly. You have the correct handset on it now. Hopefully the chrome banded type 41 handset that it came with can be put into service on another one of your AE sets.

Good decription..." It is an early AE thing that appears to be their first space saver. " That is exactly how I would describe it although a pretty awkward thing isn't it! The 43A / 83A was an improvement in design and of course AE's FINAL spacesaver, the 183 (see my avatar) is worlds away from the original 4A / 14A.

I have a 4A but certainly would have grabbed another at that price and condition.

Terry