News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Identifying Princess phone color

Started by winkydink, April 24, 2012, 10:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I recently won the following auction on ebay (for a freind) for a modular princess phone manufactured in 1982.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290697503807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The cord is a little distorted and I would like to be able to recommend to this friend where to get a replacement cord and more importantly what color.

Is there a location on the phone (or inside it) that tells exactly what color it was (before fading).

this phone seems to be in pretty good shape and not alot of fading but I am not sure if it is turquoise or aqua or something else.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

AE_Collector

I can't answer your questions about color though don't most WECo as well as "WECo clones" have a 2 digit color code on the base usually?

The coils of this cord are "reversed" at each end and you may find that reversing them again may make it acceptable. Also, it appears to be a fairly long coil cord that could have each end cut off and new plugs installed.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_collector on April 24, 2012, 10:47:43 PM
...don't most WECo as wel las "WECo clones" have a 2 digit color code on the base usually?

No.  It would make life much easier for us if they did.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Jorge is correct. Definitely aqua blue.

That cord should be repaired and not replaced. It's so easy to repair. Just get a wooden dowel about 2' long and wrap the cord around it and set it on your car dashboard in the sunshine for a day. You need to first get the coils going the right direction on both ends, so it winds the same direction as the middle of the cord. You wind it onto the dowel with the coils tight against each other.

A very warm day works better than a cold one. It needs heat to reform the coils. Some use an oven, but I think that's too dangerous for a beginner. I attached a picture I found of the process.
Jonathan

winkydink

Quote from: jsowers on April 25, 2012, 09:30:59 AM
Jorge is correct. Definitely aqua blue.

That cord should be repaired and not replaced. It's so easy to repair. Just get a wooden dowel about 2' long and wrap the cord around it and set it on your car dashboard in the sunshine for a day. You need to first get the coils going the right direction on both ends, so it winds the same direction as the middle of the cord. You wind it onto the dowel with the coils tight against each other.

A very warm day works better than a cold one. It needs heat to reform the coils. Some use an oven, but I think that's too dangerous for a beginner. I attached a picture I found of the process.

I have done this and I am letting it "bake" in the car for an additional day.

I plan to remove it today.  I think I read on the formum after the dash board treatement, to put it on the freezer.  Is this correct ?  If so, for how long ?

thanks for the info.  I will let you know how it turns out.

jsowers

I never freeze my cords. They seem to do OK when they come back to room temperature. I do leave it in the house a while to cool before I unwind. Hope you have good luck. It looks like you have a long enough dowel for the job! That was quite a long cord.
Jonathan

winkydink

The cord recoiling went well.  Here are a few "after" photos.

btw - I realize this phone doesn't qualify as a "rotary", but I figured it was close enough and thanks for everyone for not mentioning it :-D

winkydink

One more question regarding the princess line.  

This phone is marked "2702BMG".  When I researched this, I found that supposedly this model did not light up.  However, there is a bulb in the phone.

am I incorrect in my research and this phone will light and all I need is a transformer like the one shown in this link ?

http://ericofon.com/catalog/parts/princess.htm

Once again, thanks in advance for the info !

winkydink

Last question.

Does anyone know where I can find a "custom" dial card to print out for the princess phone ?

jsowers

I don't know where to find the card. The telephonearchive site doesn't seem to have the later-style cards. You are correct about the transformer. A modular one would be the easiest fit. Be sure you have a bulb in the socket on your phone and if you have a continuity tester, you can test it to make sure it works.

If you can't find any cards, send me a PM with your address and I can mail you a copy of a 311 555-2368 card you can use on the phone.

Your coil cord looks absolutely brand new! I'm glad it turned out well. The phone really looks great.
Jonathan

poplar1

Yes, the 2702BMG contains a lamp which works with a transfomer with input of 120 Volts AC and output of 6-8 VAC.  The model without a lamp is the CS2702BMG, made for "consumer sales" such as Sears stores; it also has opaque (white) buttons instead of translucent.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

WinkyDink;
I haven't heard from you in a coons age. Where ya been ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: winkydink on April 24, 2012, 10:05:38 PM
Is there a location on the phone (or inside it) that tells exactly what color it was (before fading).

Don't think this wasn't answered.

Don't the newer WE phones, shortly after 1960, have the color code stamped or molded into the inside of the plastic base (case) inside of a circle a bit smaller than a penny? Aqua Blue would be 62.

http://www.porticus.org/bell/images/we-color-chart1.jpg

Duh! My error. That circled date would be the manufacture date. The color code would be on the back of the dial, at least with 500 colored sets. Old age does affect the mind, trust me on that . . . :-\