News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by HarrySmith, July 20, 2010, 01:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just saw this on ebay and I wonder can anyone identify it? I am guessing European. Very unusual dial!
Item #300448024476

Link: http://tiny.cc/yh7gm
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

It looks like a Ericsson 11 station intercom. One of our European members can better describe it....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

OK, my thoughts exactly, Ericsson intercom, I was hoping for one of the European guys to ID it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

I'd look a bit closer to home.  Check your Kellogg catalogs for the 1100 series.

This one has apparently been hacked (perhaps by an intercom OEM) with a rotary station selector.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

OK Paul. It does look pretty close to that! But if it was hacked wouldn't there be a 3 inch hole where the dial was?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

It is definitely a Kellogg red bar wall phone of some sort.  The white push button suggests a Select-O-Phone.  Kellogg may have made Select-O-Phones with rotary selector knobs.  At any rate, it is interesting, but not usable as a phone as-is.  I would not pay $49 for it.

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 20, 2010, 03:53:37 PM
OK Paul. It does look pretty close to that! But if it was hacked wouldn't there be a 3 inch hole where the dial was?

It seems to me that there is a circle visible in the auction photo that's probably about 3 inches in diameter (below).  Perhaps someone made or modified an apparatus blank that would bolt in the normal dial hole to hold the switch and numbers.

Another option was to mold a non-dial housing with a flat front.  The tooling would have been quite expensive, so we'd expect to see other sets with that feature.

paul-f

Harry,

I asked the seller to look inside and got this response...

"There is a circular plate, about 3" in diameter with the numbers and the switch. I don't know if it's removable, but it is separate from the rest of the main housing."

HarrySmith

OK, then. Thanks Paul I guess that answers that, very nice modification :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"