News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm new here.

Started by Steve, December 20, 2008, 06:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Hello board, my name is Steve and I'm new to this forum. didn't see a dedicated spot for introductions, so I hope this is Okay here.

I collect old stuff but only have a few old phones (so far)

I have an old 202 I picked up 20 years ago that was rebuilt when I got it.
a black 500 series from 57, that Ma bell refurbed in 73.
I also have a phone like we had when I was growing up. a 64 554 in turquoise! It took a long time to find one in that color that wasn't a fortune , but the hunt was worth it.

NOW.... I seem to have caught the bug. I find myself looking for more!

I'm hoping to find an Ivory 354 that I can afford. heck, if it takes too long I might have to console myself in the meantime with a black one :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Steve

the kitchen we had when I was a kid was done in 1962. it had the copper space age pull down light, similar late 50's early 60's range etc. lots of seafoam green (turquose) and dusty rose colors. the toilet and tub in the bathroom were aqua blue! now when I see those colors it feels like home to me . :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dan

Welcome Steve. My family wasn't as hip as yours. We just had a black WE500 and a harvest yellow 554. We went big time in 1976 ang got a yellow "accent " design line with the wicker accents.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve

Thanks for the welcome Dan.

we moved in 1973 and got a blue kitchen phone. remember the 554's with push buttons? it looked like a converted rotary. the 60's were over:(

but, we went big time in 1976 too, we got a COLOR TV!!!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dan

BLUE kitchen phone! Now that's rare, especially if it was a dark one. I have been looking to get a dark blue 500 for a while now, they are a little too rich on ebay right now.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve

Yep real blue . not aqua. had the round cut out like a rotary, but the buttons were in that circle. looked just like a 554 'cept was pushbutton. 
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

McHeath

Quotethe kitchen we had when I was a kid was done in 1962. it had the copper space age pull down light, similar late 50's early 60's range etc. lots of seafoam green (turquose) and dusty rose colors. the toilet and tub in the bathroom were aqua blue! now when I see those colors it feels like home to me

Welcome Steve.  Currently my 1966 house has two of those space age pull down lights, one in copper that looks more American Colonial and one in brass that looks like a UFO.  And the bathtub is aqua blue!  Hated that color when I first moved in, but we "embraced" it with paint and decor and now I like it.

I've seen those 554s with the touch one add in, they are pretty interesting and I would enjoy one.  There is a site that has old ones:

http://www.oldphones.com/servlet/StoreFront

They are also still being made, by Cortelco, as the 3554:

http://www.cortelco.com/products/3554.php

Steve

WOW!

That old phones link is the blue phone we used to have!

a blue Frankenstein.  that's the turquoise color of my 554 as well.

too bad its modular, or I could update my handset and shell :/
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

I'd love to see a pic of the copper dinette light you have. I picked up one a few years ago, at a flea market, and the wife cleaned house.. dumpstered it. :(
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dan/Panther

Welcome Steve;
I've been gone most of the day, but a warm belated welcome is better than none.
What is the revolver, A Colt, or S&W?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Steve

1929 Colt O.P.

not sure of the year on the 202 or the westclox.

thanks for the welcome!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

mienaichizu

welcome too Steve, I also do love collecting old stuffs, just like you do

HobieSport

Steve and McHeath,

Is this one of the copper pull down lamps you're speaking about?  http://tinyurl.com/7vd3dt

I'd like to see a picture of McHeaths' brass UFO pull down light also.

bingster

We had an almost identical lamp in the dining room of the house I grew up in.  It wasn't original--the house was built in 1936, and the light was obviously installed later.  I remember doing my homework at the dining room table with the lamp pulled down close to the table.

Interestingly, this wasn't a new concept.  They had mechanisms in the 1800s that allowed ceiling mounted kerosene lamps to be pulled down in the same way.
= DARRIN =

Steve

Very similar. the one we had growing up, and the one I bought like it were copper instead of brass. they make a great poker light!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,