News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where to use a 395B Transmitter?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 24, 2010, 08:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

I've done a quick search for the 395B here on the forum (being a newbie).  E.G. finding a reference to it here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1587.msg21000#msg21000  ???

I just scored a "hotel" (or non-dial) W.E. D-1 mount "armed" with an E-1 handset which has this 395B transmitter vice an F-1 seated in a 625A unit.  I didn't realize it 'til it got here.  To be fair to the seller, one foto did show this, if you looked  :o carefully!  I figure I should count me-self lucky as my unscientific survey (admittedly, on eBay) suggests this kind of E-1 hndst is a bit rare?  (Set me straight if i have that wrong!!  Seriously, please!! :) ).

Now, I have two B-1 mounts.  Would this E-1 w/ 395B be correct on a B-1?  I'm looking to cannibalize my tiny collection (incls. four D-1s) to create a "correct" phone for ca. early 1930s.  "Working," if I can make that happen, but for display if not.  Both my B-1s are in nice "display" shape, and this E-1 hndst is nice too.  It has one or two tiny white "spots" (paint?) on the handle, but I just got in a Novus kit, and am going to see if I can buff those off.  Have never used the Novus product before, so will be sure to "read the label" VERY carefully.   ;D

Any free advice greatly appreciated!!  :D

Phonesrfun

The 395B Barrier Button, or "bullet" transmitter would be correct for a B-1 mount, however, you will probably be disapointed at the way it sounds as compared to the 625A.

for sure, the 395B is scarce as compared to the later unit, but I would not go so far as to call it rare. 

Also, the non-dial mount was probably used more extensively in homes served by non-dial manual switchboards than anything else.  So, unless it has something that identifies it to some specific hotel, it may just be the seller's guess that it was a "hotel" phone.  E-Bay sellers do a lot of guessing to try to sound like they know about the things they are selling.

Whether it was or was not a hotel phone does not diminish its value.  Congratulations on your score.
-Bill G

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 24, 2010, 01:09:49 PM
The 395B Barrier Button, or "bullet" transmitter would be correct for a B-1 mount, however, you will probably be disappointed at the way it sounds as compared to the 625A.

for sure, the 395B is scarce as compared to the later unit, but I would not go so far as to call it rare. 
OK.  Thanks for the tips.  "Scarce" is good enuf for me!   ;)  And, I guess if it doesn't "sound"  ??? very good, I will not worry about if it works, and will only use if for display.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 24, 2010, 01:09:49 PMAlso, the non-dial mount was probably used more extensively in homes served by non-dial manual switchboards than anything else.  So, unless it has something that identifies it to some specific hotel, it may just be the seller's guess that it was a "hotel" phone.  E-Bay sellers do a lot of guessing to try to sound like they know about the things they are selling.

Thanks!  BTW, its my own "fault" for suggesting it was a "Hotel" phone.  I went back to look at the auction and all the seller said was:

Quote...a VINTAGE ART DECO WESTERN ELECTRIC TELEPHONE D1. Telephone is missing the dial.
I "assumed," since it had no dial, that  it was from a "controlled environment" like a hotel where management would NOT want clientele dialing out (and incurring charges that would be leveled at the hotel (?)), but would instead want the renter of their room to have to "signal" the hotel operator to get a line out, which would allow the hotel to levy any charges against the room bill, IYGMD?  There was no number card (not even the holder for a ghost card), so as I say, I was merely assuming...  :o  There's a Charlie Chan film were the hotel operator is "bent" and intercepts Chan's call and misdirects it, getting Chan into hot water; albeit being the inimitable Charlie Chan, he gets out of it alright!  ;D

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 24, 2010, 01:09:49 PM
Whether it was or was not a hotel phone does not diminish its value.  Congratulations on your score.
Thanks!!  I'm still pleased, IIDSSM, as the inside of the mount is stamped II-31, making it the earliest D-1 in my tiny collection!   :D