News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

James May: The Reassembler - The Telephone

Started by twocvbloke, May 24, 2016, 05:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Just learned this show existed, and this particular one he seems to reassemble a GPO 332:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SDkBKiqr8

Seems to be a rather interesting series, well, for those of us who like taking things to bits and rebuilding them... ;D

19and41

I wish we could still have such programs here, as opposed to those that are tailored to the attention span of a dog.  Consider yourself very fortunate.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

A lot of TV over here is pretty much tailored for people with short attention spans too, things like this show from Captain Slow are exceptions to the rule, and I don't really watch much broadcast TV so missed this one on live TV and only found it today!! ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

I'd like to see him reassemble a 500--I'd grin while he gets incredibly frustrated at trying to fish the wandering white handset conductors through the threshold in a G handset! ;D

Any 500 collector probably understands what I mean... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Don't forget about the AE80 and AE90 collectors!  They've most likely encountered some similar troubles!

Mr. Bones

Quote from: 19and41 on May 24, 2016, 06:23:18 PM
I wish we could still have such programs here, as opposed to those that are tailored to the attention span of a dog.  Consider yourself very fortunate.

If you have programming there that even briefly can interest your dog, I'd love to switch to your provider LOL! ;D ;D

I have a smart TV in the parlor, and my bedroom and garage TV's each have their own ROKU 2XS. I'm going to get rid of a very expensive monkey, as soon as I decide on the proper antenna for my location.

I watch Netflix or Amazon prime probably 90+% when I'm not catching the local weather or news in the AM. 8)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

What was once a good TV antenna is still a good TV antenna.  The old directional units work quite well.  There just aren't any more snowy fringe regions.  It's either or. If I could get TCM over the air, I'd snip the cable.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 24, 2016, 07:04:17 PM
I'd like to see him reassemble a 500--I'd grin while he gets incredibly frustrated at trying to fish the wandering white handset conductors through the threshold in a G handset! ;D

That's great!

Ben

HowlingWolven

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 24, 2016, 07:04:17 PM

I didn't have too much trouble when I put the handset back together on my 554, is that strange?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HowlingWolven on May 27, 2016, 11:33:22 PM
I didn't have too much trouble when I put the handset back together on my 554, is that strange?
Most of the time, the 2 white conductors for the handset cord are not connected together, so you have to try either pushing them through, or feeding a wire through the other end to tie to the conductors and pull them through. Most tinsel conductors are bent inside the handset, and over time, stay in that position permenantly. That makes it very difficult to feed through the handset, as the conductors usually aim themselves outward and get caught on something before they reach the other end.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

I had to build that type of handset up for rail operator's positions in rail cars.  One way I found to get them to pass through easier was to borrow a shop vac for a few minutes and put the nozzle against the receiver end while running and pass them through.  I would usually do 5 to 10 at a time and that would help things along.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Once you figure out how to do it, it really isn't that difficult.  Although, I have yet to use a vacuum cleaner to draw the wires into the handset.  That would make an interesting video!

david@london

....as the link to youtube, posted by twocvbloke above, is now unfortunately defunct, i thought i'd add this link to the same programme, on daily motion :

james may, 'the reassembler' - episode 2, the gpo 300 series telephone.

....have just also watched the electric guitar episode - very enjoyable (for a slow-tv fan)

twocvbloke

I've got the two series to date stored on my Plex server, watched the latest one this morning (rebuilding a Honda 50Z monkey bike), and I had to laugh at him playing his spanners like a xylophone... ;D

Quite a contrast from his being on Top Gear and The Grand Tour, but then, all his own shows are quite unique to him... :)

andy1702

James May is always better on his own shows, without the influence of those two morons! Clarkson & Hammond would both benefit from a long walk off a short pier! I can't tolerate either of them. May slightly redeems himself when he's on his own so I do sometimes watch his solo shows. If we must have 'Top Gear' bring back William Woolard and make it a proper motoring magazine show again.

Back to the Reassembler... Did you notice he didn't do any of the difficult bits, like the wiring for example?

I'm considering doing something similar for Youtube Live. Sort of 'Phone fixing live' perhaps. The difference is I'd do it all live and answer questions from viewers as it went on. Watch this space...

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.