News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I bought my first phone!

Started by MagicMo, January 12, 2013, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I was "antiquing" with the hubby and was on the hunt for a phone. While there were only a few I ended up getting this one for $12. I figured if it was worthless I'm only out a few bucks. After I bought it I realized it was made in Japan, oops! So, was it worth it? PS Great condition and freaking heavy!!

Thanks!
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

AE_Collector

This sort of thing was considered "junk" for a long time but they are now beginning to become at least a little collectible. From the 1960's and 70's and imported as decorator phones by phone companies and Radio Shack etc.

Now I want to know what your husband said about your purchase! Hundreds of phones from your dad but you are out buying more!!

erry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 12, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
This sort of thing was considered "junk" for a long time but they are now beginning to become at least a little collectible. Fro mthe 1960's and 70's and imported as decorator phones by phone companies and Radio Shack etc.

Now I want to know what your husband said about your purchase! Hundreds of phones from your dad but you are out buying more!!

erry

Hi Terry,
He loves old phones more than I do! I remember a few years ago when he was going to buy an old rotary phone at a garage sale and I talked him out of it. "What are you going to do with that junk?" were my exact words. He reminded me of that phone from the garage sale today when we were driving home and my only response was. "touché." 
Maureen

poplar1

The outside parts are from Japan, but the rest of the parts are all Western Electric. The WE Kit is F-56660.

After buying the "enclosure," you sent the phone to Western Electric or an installer came to your house to add the dial, network, ringer, transmitter, receiver, etc. This cost about $25.00.

The parts remained property of the phone company. So they charged you rent on the parts--$1.50 a month or thereabouts.

If you didn't want to continue paying rent on the parts, you could have the phone company remove the W.E. parts. There was also a program in the 1980s to buy phones you had been leasing; I would think this would apply to the inside parts of this phone as well.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Maureen,

For $12, you did well.  As was already stated here, the internal parts were made by Western Electric, so the quality is as good as any other WE phone from the 1960s.  The parts are worth more than $12, but since the phone looks good, I would keep it as it is.  I bought one of those a few years ago for $10 from someone who was trying to get rid of it on craigslist just because I wanted the dial (and the seller begged me to take it off his hands).  Mine didn't look very good, so I dismantled it for parts.  Many people think that these are valuable antiques and ask insane prices for them, but $10-$20 is fair.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

BTW,

The style of this phone is a copy of a Danish model.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on January 12, 2013, 09:25:53 PM
He loves old phones more than I do! I remember a few years ago when he was going to buy an old rotary phone at a garage sale and I talked him out of it. "What are you going to do with that junk?" were my exact words. He reminded me of that phone from the garage sale today when we were driving home and my only response was. "touché." 
Maureen
Maureen's caught the bug! And her husband has it, too! Yay! Good for you, Maureen!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

George Knighton

Quote from: MagicMo on January 12, 2013, 09:09:52 PMI figured if it was worthless I'm only out a few bucks.

Be careful.  That's how I started, and now I'm pretty well done for.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

MagicMo

I opened it up and snapped a few more. I was delighted to see the words "Bell System."
Maureen

McHeath

I see these in antique and thrift stores every so often.  Maybe I ought to pick one up, they seem more interesting than I'd figured.

HowardPgh

Sometimes you find these with the Japanese components in them. I have a black one like that.-Howard
Howard

MagicMo

Quote from: McHeath on January 16, 2013, 12:10:04 AM
I see these in antique and thrift stores every so often.  Maybe I ought to pick one up, they seem more interesting than I'd figured.

I'll sell you mine for 50!
LOL!

WesternElectricBen

Cool find, LMEricson has one. I can link you his video. http://preview.tinyurl.com/a5dd7gb
Ben